Thread: 205 - 60's on Flat Sixes?

205 - 60's on Flat Sixes?

Here's a multipoint question:

I currently run 195 and 205 60 profile tires on my 73 narrow body without any issues (they are on repop 6 and 7 fuchs). I have recently been on a fuchs buying spree and I'm trying to decided how to proceed - please keep in mind my 73 targa has a 3.2.

I just bought a set of 72 date code flat sixes and I'm curious if I can successfully run 205's in the rear? I understand 7R wheels are normally used for this purpose but could I restore my sixes and use them?

Also, I have assembled a full set of 15X7 rims and am considering running the 195 and 205 tires on those - are there any potential issues with that?

Thanks

206 Flat 6

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE92 205/60 15 on flat sixes all the way around on a 70T no issues at Euro spec height.

It depends. I have 205/ 60's all around on 73 and a 74 narrowbodies, using both 6" and 7" rims. Over the years many people have said these work fine, and for me they do. BUt every now and then someone finds that they don't work. This is due to variations in individual cars. So the best thing would be to borrow a tire and wheel from someone and try it.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I suggest you put your 205s on a pair of 7s for the rear. The same tire on a wider wheel will handle better due to less sidewall flex.
    Then put 205s on 6s for the front. Everyone says they fit.

Hi. I've always been a big fan of the 195/60's all around on 7" Fuchs. Nice gearing and it fills the fender well with out rubbing. Right now on the street I'm running the Michelin XWX 185/70's on 7''. This is also a great setup but has a little more sidewall flex. The 185's also give you a nice tall gearing for interstate driving. A little pricey though.
    Bobby
    PS I thought you were going to sell your Targa?????

I think I'm going to do 7R weld ups and flat sixes - seems like the most correct way to run 195 and 205 wheels.

PS I talked with Al Reed this morning and he said he's run 205's on flat sixes many many times with no issues. He also indicated 7R's can handle up to 225 width tires - anyone with experience that way?