Thread: Steering wheel help needed.

Steering wheel help needed.

Hi everyone,

I have been running a Prototipo on my backdate while waiting for inspiration. Well today at the local Porsche show it came. I saw an RS clone with correct 380mm wheel and hub. Now I know what I must do, but here's the problem.

I realize that in early '74 Porsche changed something fundamental about the steering column (spline maybe?) and steering wheels are either pre or post 1974. So here's my question; can I get a 75-77 wheel and remove the cladding to reveal a RS-style wheel underneath with the ability to mount on my 1988 column?

Here's a shot of the 75-77 wheel:

Thanks for any help,

-Mike

Mike, underneath that padding there's a spring type of crash center, which looks nothing like an earlier steering wheel hub.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Thanks Tom.

I also made an inquiry with a gentleman who refurbishes 914 wheels into RS wheels. He has offered to make me a custom adapter/spacer. This is a product that they had been considering offering and it seems my request was a timely one. I'll post pictures when I receive everything.

-Mike

One last thing, can anyone tell me when this horn hub was used?

as opposed to this one:

Thanks again.

Similar Threads

1. Wood rim steering wheel identification needed
    By 55Outlaw in forum General Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM
  2. Momo Steering Wheel Information Needed
    By Scooter 911 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 11:23 PM
  3. Steering wheel identification needed