Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 T/R - "Out Of Africa"

Tim

Great find! Well done. Looking forward to seeing the thread unfold with lots of juicy details.

If only these cars could talk eh?!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Restoration newbie.
    Awesome car. Always good to have another RHD find.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tim, congrats. Very happy to see another T/R found.
    I am looking forward to a resto story.
    Will be fallowing closely since I am in need of an opinions/inspirations/expeirences first hand.

Gytis
    1967 911 matching numbers car ( sold )
    1968 911T/R #0805 (SONDERWUNCH AUSSERH DER M.LISTE NR184****) SOLD
    1969 911E MFI matching ALL numbers SOLD
    1981 911 Target 4K ( SHIFT trip-Nürburgring-SPA and SOLD )
    1986 930 "Carnivore" ( "while I'm there" mode )

Thumbs up

Tim,

This is a FANTASTIC story and a VERY cool car......Congrats mate!!!!

It would be perfect for a progressive progress write up w/pictures for the ESSES

Please think about it and send to our editor John Dilger at:
    johndilger@aol.com

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Gents - Thanks for all the kind comments, as I said at the start of this thread I have got plenty of value from the registry in the past so it is nice to be able to provide some input (Chuck I will give some thought to the Esses article idea).

What interests me the most with these early cars is getting to the bottom of how they were planned and executed; I think from all the previous T/R(?) postings there have been, there may well be more than one answer with some cars modified at a later stage "in period" whilst undoubtably some have acquired more sporting aspirations in later years.

I had always presumed that if it was a planned "factory build" then perhaps they took a "T" off the production line at some point (or even at the end) and then let the race shop guys substitute the breathed on "S" engine together with various other race/rally parts. However the most interesting thing I have found on the car to date is the securing of the engine lid. Whilst the front luggage compartment has the usual catch with release cable through to the dash, the engine lid was secured by rubber catches. The near side "B" post has no indentation for a release handle and the metal guide tube for the normal release cable that runs along the inner rear wing is also missing; this would seem to suggest an element of planning for competition purpose earlier in the production process?

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a great project! I'm looking forward to reading more about the history of this car. Please post more pictures.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Quote Originally Posted by Bantam View Post

The only non original parts I have found to date are a ducktail rather than the standard engine lid (even I could spot that one! – this was from an interesting part of the car’s life which I will go into in more detail at a later date), the windscreen (see photo below), and a 380mm steering wheel (part no. 914.347.803.10 date stamp 12/72, it still has the foam thickening under layer but has lost its leather so will require refurb – I will retain this wheel on the car because although not original specification it is part of the cars history and at 6’4’’ is of help with leg room!).
    Hi Tim,

Very exciting to have you bring us the details of this 911. I look forward to reading more about it. I am particularly intersted in the notion of the Factory building this car with the lightweight concept from the beginning as referenced by your photo of the left door jam area.

The steering wheel part # you mention is a hard plastic 914 wheel that was also used as a core for the thick grip 914-6 GT and RSR wheels. Check out this thread for hints on how to restore it.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=803+RSR
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian

Thanks for the link, I have posted a couple of photos below of the wheel as removed from the car - whilst it is obviously not the cars original wheel (sorry not the best photo but the date stamp is 12/72) from what I know of the cars history (mainly storage in Uganda for the past 30 years) I am pretty certain this would have been fitted in period. I would welcome your observations/thoughts.
    Thanks

Tim

Tim,

Yep, you have a GT/RSR wheel. All you need for the correct restoration is a layer of felt material, good leather, and someone skilled enough to correctly put the leather cover on matching the stiching pattern of the originals.

Here's an original that has been dissected.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Tr

Tim:

Good pic of the Hamilton car demonstrating the excitement factor that came standard with a TR!
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165