Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 T/R - "Out Of Africa"

Chris - Thanks for posting the picture, I remember that picture but had failed to find it! I think it is chassis 11820834 (?). The interesting thing is that the "B" posts are different with #834 being a definite circle compared to mine.
    #834 at a guess would be an approx December '67 build whilst #912 is looking like July '68 so perhaps it is down to the type of panel (prior to pressing for the engine release) that was around at the time ????
    Still begs the question with regard to was this part of a pre planned build modification or changed at the end of the build.....

Tom - Thanks for that, any reference on the Scheel would be useful, particularly interested in the type of head rest both seats would have had, they both have provision for them but unfortunately no longer with the car.

Tim

Hi Tim

Congratulations on a fantastic find

the blue car above is 11820834
    the records I have are that it was built in April 1968 and delivered to Mahag, Munich but i don't have a copy of the source documents, only reports from when it was sold at some stage.

Here are some more pictures of cars without the pull. Both are ST's and at least one of them had no tube etc for the release wire to run thru (I don't know about the other)

also there is a pic of another 1968 T/R but this one has a pull. Not many photos that I have show this part of the car but i have another one of a Pauli Toivonen (werks?) car 11820455, that just shows it at the edge of the photo and that one seems to have a pull.

So I think that even in competition cars it may be rare to have no pull - are any of the other parts for the pull there - ie the tube etc? which you report is not there. If they are not I would be fairly confident that it came without one.

the other problem in looking at other cars now is the part may have been replaced over time. the pic of the TR I posted witgh a pull looks nothing like yours or the blue car and neither does the Toivonen car BUT they are all current photos
    the challenge is to find a period photo of this area - very hard as most photos with an open door are facing the dash!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

"B" post

Hugh

Thanks for the feedback and photos.

I have checked again and there is definitely no guide tube and no sign of one being removed; whilst the environment the car has been in means plenty of refurbishing I am fairly confident most of what I am finding is original. It seems a little strange that they would go to all this trouble yet retain the cable release and associated catches for the front luggage compartment?

The point you make about finding period photos to get to the bottom of some of these details is spot on. Hopefully over time I can find some more period photos of the required detail plus gather info from a trip to the archive, both with regard to the specific car and more generally with regard to competition orientated production/modifications.

Tim

Congrats and welcome to club
    Not to steal the thunder, but PO confirmed that he put a hole in B panel for a eng. lid release cable.
    Also COA said : "R" type engine lid

Gytis
    1967 911 matching numbers car ( sold )
    1968 911T/R #0805 (SONDERWUNCH AUSSERH DER M.LISTE NR184****) SOLD
    1969 911E MFI matching ALL numbers SOLD
    1981 911 Target 4K ( SHIFT trip-Nürburgring-SPA and SOLD )
    1986 930 "Carnivore" ( "while I'm there" mode )

A few more pics...

Can anyone tell me what the "z" stamped on the transmission housing means?

Tim

Door lightweight interior..

The door interior lightweight cards and pull handles were with the car.

The lightweight door cards use a lower hole for the pull strap than found on later examples in cars such as the RS. They also show some evidence of either "trial and error" on the rear or maybe the use of a standard card modified for lightweight use?

The pull handles are of a stronger/harder plastic than the ones you can currently order from Porsche, one has a "3" on the rear whilst the other has a "4" on it?

Tim

The 3 & 4 on the handles would likely refer to the cavity in the mould. Plastic injection moulds for small parts will often have multiple cavities to produce several parts at one time. A number stamped in the cavity can identify which cavity is producing bad parts.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Hi Tim,

Outstanding find! Congratulations.

I think the z could be the signature of the person who did the final casting or transmission assembly quality check.

My 901/02 w LSD and 901/54 w LSD both have a z, the 901/02 even twice.

One more special thing I want to point out of your car is that the reinforced type of Nadellas are installed, which are about 300 Gramms lighter each than the normal skinny typ of Nadellas. The reinforced type was also used for the 904.

Happy to see any detail!

Best
    Claudius

Reinforced Nadellas! WOW!

From time to time this forum reveals an aspect of Porsche that I never had the slightest idea even existed.

Great thread, incredible find. Can't wait to see more.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Tim,
    what is the type # on the bottom of your gearbox?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439