Thread: Time for a proper introduction . . .

Time for a proper introduction . . .

Hi all,

I have been lurking around for some time now and I have done some posts, but I thought it would appropriate to do a little introduction.

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate the forum and the wealth of information that is available on-line and of course through the participating members. It is helping me a lot with my little project and the reason for my lurking

I am in the process of building a 911R replica. "Another one", I hear some of you say, but believe me, on this side of the pond (Europa that is) it is a pretty unique project. More specifically, in The Netherlands where I live, I have not heard of such project. Allthough the cars originally come from this continent, I guess you guys have simply taken the lead in building hot rods!

The basis is a 1967 911T (originally a sportomatic, I bought the car with a 901 gearbox), delivered in Germany but after having spent a big part of its life in the USA, corrosion is not a big issue. The underbody has been ice-blasted and is now clean. I have replaced the entire roof to get rid of the sunroof and to get some more rigidity in the chassis. In order to achieve even more rigidity, additional welding is done to the chassis and a roll cage is installed. A 85 liter tank will be adjusted for centerfilling and installed. Two front oil coolers with a sidefiller will also be part of the work. Front fenders, doors and hoods will all be fiberglass, Lexan window where appropriate. I have sourced original 7J Fuch wheels, they will be teamed up with monoballs and Billstein suspension/dampers. The interior will remain pretty empty, with RS lightweight floormats and likely Cobra FIA seats (safety comes first...).

Engine wise, I am trying to stay close to the carrera 6 engine. We use a 901/6 aluminium crankcase that will need to get worked for a bigger oilpump etc. I am proud to have secured things like original Mahle 906 cylinders and piston, 906 camshafts, 1964 original 906 camshafthousings, NOS heads to be adjusted for larger valves, 906 race rockers, chainhouse with centerlub, most of the NOS exterior lights, etc. One of the last things on my list are titanium rods, if I can find them at a "reasonable price". I have chosen to use a rebuild 911SC NOS electronic distibutor with original NOS Bosch cap and rotor for the twin spark - working these 4 points is too much trouble. Not sure about the fanhouse size yet. The transmission with be the standard 901 'dogleg' transmission, standard ratio's for now, with a Wevo box to get more secure shifting. I am still debating to edge and lighten the crankshaft.

Overall, I am trying to keep the weight to around 800kg and have the engine produce 200/210 + hp in a not to narrow powerband.

Anyway - these are just some details of a project that I hope to finish in the beginning of next year. I drive some more Porsches, but they are not 'early' enough for this forum. That does not make them less pleasant to drive

Thanks for listening and I hope I can provide a positive contribution to this wonderful forum going forward. Best from The Netherlands - Dick

Wink Welcome!

Welcome Dirk,

Good luck with your 911R project, it certainly sounds very exciting. When building the S/T, we set up the engine with twin plugs but with Weber 40 to make sure it had as much torque as possible making it much easier to drive.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Welcome to the forum Dick. Sounds like a VERY exciting project. Looking forward to photos!
    Mark Morrissey
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board Dick..... looking forward to more info and pics of your project......

If you've already become a member of the Early S Registry you've joined about a handful and a half of very enthusiastic club member from the Netherlands...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks! Milou, I will be using Weber 46, as on the original Carrera 6 engine

Dick, looking forward to pics and updates. You have an exciting road ahead of you, and there are quite a few dutch friends who populate these boards. Best of all, you are only a stones throw away, from many of the iconic places in porsche racing history. Best of luck, Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

ice blasting

Welcome, Id like to know more about ice blasting. Ive been thinking about that idea for a long time since I noticed after ice racing with a 914 that the underside had been cleaned to bare metal by the ice. I hate sandblasting, this could be the way to go with heads and other parts you dont want to contaminate. AND ice is very inexpensive. Tell me more, Tell me more...

About ice blasting : it is a process with CO2, frozen at around -50 Celsius. It is blasted against the sticky underbody cover at very high pressure. When it hits the underbody cover, it freezes, shrinks and comes off. It leaves no traces to the metal. Also no distortion, unlike sand. The process takes about 10 to 12 hours for a 911 and does not work well on paint.

cold ice blasting

The belly and engine compartment from my 66 were cold ice blasted about a year ago and I have seen more 356's and 911's that have been blasted.

My experiences are:
    - it works very well to remove undercoating, 65-69? The plastic kind of coating they used in 72 is a pain to remove but can be done.
    - rust will not removed by cold ice blasting. Those areas will come to surface if they were hidden by undercoating but need to be treated different
    - paint can be removed as well. Layer by layer if needed. One drawback, it consumes a lot of ice. Cold ice blasting is also used to remove Grafiti, easy to spot when you see a lot of dry steam

Richard