Thread: Hello All, newbie here in need for some advise

Hello All, newbie here in need for some advise

Hello, I just joined the Registry and would like to thank everyone here for keeping such an elaborate and informative forum. I have been a P-car enthusiast since the very first 944 I bought back in college times. I have breathe and sweated and even bled P-cars during the subsequent years moving on to 928's all variants of 911's all the way to 996. For all the P-cars that I had the wonderful opportunity of owning and driven I have never owned a pre 73 911 or at least a perfect running one. Whatever it is I have been bitten by the classic bug and I am finally really to put a pre 73 911 into my corral. I am in search of an S car but would like to know the pros, cons, fun factor, wow factor, appreciation or depreciation, so please any collective thought would be a godsend as I am making my decision within the next few weeks or months till the right car appears. I am certain any 1 of them is a great experience and I have my eyes set on the 72 911S coupes but your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA,

A '72S coupe would be a great choice for your first early 911. If you can drive some nice examples all the better for zeroing in on the best car for you. Check out this thread for various opinions of the differences between the early 911 models.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=25714
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I think the first decision to make in your position is to be clear about the type of early 911 you want to wind up with.

Do you want a stock longhood 911, are you prepared to possibly even undertake the necessary amount of restoration to satisfy your idea of a certain standard ....... the old "they are only original once" scenario. If that's what your temperament dictates, I submit you probably will want an early S due to the important factors you mention above.....WOW, appreciation, higher overall level of performance, driving pleasure, etc. The price of admission to the S school of thought is usually considerably higher than field & stream variety Normals, Ts, and Es, but I suggest they're a fairly sound investment if you choose wisely initially. Don't even think for a second of skipping a thorough PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) before settling on your final choice. The board can help in finding qualified people.

If on the other hand you decide to forget about faithfulness to originality and want to create a hot-rod which reflects your ideas of what a longhood ought to look & drive like, an almost infinite selection of options opens up to you, since only your imagination and finacial resources will be valid barriers. An engine swap, your choice of intake system, upgrading of transmission, suspension and brake modifications to suit performance and ultimate use of the car and changes in the appearance of the vehicle and interior are all legitimate approaches to your new aqusition. Again, I would counsel you in the strongest terms not to forego a PPI. For that path pretty much any sound longhood 911 will do quite well as a starting point, because you will essentially be creating the car you envision. Whichever approach you choose, you should probably give some thought to whether you prefer a short wheelbase car, or a '69 to '73 longer wheelbase model. That's an answer that can not be derived by polling this membership. That's an issue you'll need to study, learn about the subtle differences in dynamic behavior, hopefully drive a few of each type of chassis, talk to many owners of each type, and will depend heavily on the character you ultimately desire for your early 911. You will find this board to be immensly helpful in providing proven guidelines in helping you define the limits of what makes sense for an early car.

Designing & building a hot rod represents a real risk / reward situation. You need to be mindful of your abilities to manage such a project, because invariably, choosing the hot-rod route will make you much more dependent upon others to bring your dream to fruition. Under those circumstances, be prepared to write many big checks over a longer period of time......and then enjoy your creation.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers