Thread: Was Blaupunkt CR-4094 original in 1973

Was Blaupunkt CR-4094 original in 1973

Guys,

I was about to recover the speaker holes in the doors of the 73 Targa. And then it occurred to me that maybe the car came with a stereo and had door speaker holes cut at the factory. Both steel door have speaker holes manufactured in the door.

I am the third owner; bought the car in '79. I contacted owner #2 and he says that he bought the car in 76 but did not make any radio changes between 76 and 79. As far as he remembers, the radio in the car when it came to me is the radio in the car when he bought it. Owner #1 is now parked in the great Porsche Platz in the sky and therefore is not available for consultation.

The radio that was in the car when I bought it in '79 is a Blaupunkt cr-4094 cassette stereo radio with the capability to record onto the cassette using a micro phone jack built into the back of the radio. What is the chance that this is an original 73 radio and therefore I do not need to plug the speaker holes in the door? Or is it possible that the cr-4094 came out in 74-76? I will post a picture the next time I get my kid (official title: racing team IT director) over to the garage with his camera.

Thanks for any help.

John
    card carrying registry member #322

Was Blaupunkt CR-4094 original in 1973

Hi John, this question has been posed to me before by some one wanting to be correct for the Parade concours. I searched the parts book for 72-73 and can find no mention of any speaker system other than the dash board one. Not saying it couldn't happen, since many radios were dealer installed, but I've found no evidence of any leaving the factory with door speakers. My guess is the door holes were just planning for the future.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed.

By the time I thought about the originality issue for the 73.5 Targa, I had already cut a plug for one door panel. I then glued a piece of green fiber paper from a hanging folder for files on either side of the plug with a lot of weight to flatten everything. The job looked too good to have to tear apart. Thanks to you, I can now proceed to the other door panel.

If a data point is in order, the 73 S does have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo typ nr: 7 6 30 629 installed with the speakers cut into the fixed leading edge door pockets. I am the 2nd owner of the car and have all of the paperwork/manuals including the Garantie Certificat that came with the car. My guess is that the stereo radio might have been dealer installed. There also is a single speaker in the center of the dash top with speaker wires going nowhere.

As always, thanks for the help. Stay cool in Texas

John

When I was working for the dealer the 4094 was a Japanese Blaupunkt sold as a dealer installed item mainly for the 914 and Audi's in 75/76.
    Ken

John,
    Please post pic of your radio. I have a 73 S that has a Blaupunkt cassette deck, I think it is a Lubeck which was an option in 73.
    Phil

Ken
    Thanks for the info. You're correct. It does say "made in Japan" on the back. And based on your 75/76 comment, that would have been the time that the original owner had the car. I will try to post a picture as soon as I can find someone with the technical skill to move a picture from a camera to the internet.

BTW, this cassette radio has a built in microphone jack with a 'record' button on the front. Who knew that kareoke has been around for over 30 years?

John

Sorry its taken me so long to get this online for ya pops, but here is the picture you were looking for...