Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let's see how much we really know about early 911s

let's see how much we really know about early 911s

This is not a test to see who knows about the most obscure details, rather, I am very anxious and serious about modifying Ruprecht's license plate panel to the same configuration as shown in the first Photo, that of the Tangerine Number 3 911R prototype. Please note how the bumper guards have been entirely removed and the panel cleaned up & modified by welding all mounting holes and openings shut. The second photo of the white car, is from a 1970 Italian 911 Factory brochure I have, showing that this was an available option in the day.

Is there anyone out there who knows how this modification was performed, and who could possibly shed some light on how the panel is held onto the bumper guard brackets. If you can supply photos or sketches I'd consider remembering you in my last Will & Testament.

I have seen any number of cars, both privateers and works cars, with just the bumper guards removed, ( Photo # 3 - courtesy of Curt's last post) but I think I'd like to do a cleaner and more thorough job than that for what will always be a street driven rally recreation.

I think it would be doable by welding the holes in the Lic. Plate panel shut and utilizing the existing "mounting ears" by cutting them off, then turning them around to the inside and re-welding them so they line up with the bumper bracket captive nuts. Then, when installing the panel, mount the panel first , working from below and on the engine side of the panel, and install the muffler last. It would be very re-assuring to see actual details.....if this information is available or even exists.

Any help will be much appreciated.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Non-industrial look

Hi John,

here is my guess:

The photo used for the sales brochure was probably jut airbrushed at the request of the Sales Department for the sake of cosmetics. Never trust the guys in the Sales Department.

My guess is that the orange panel was modded pretty much the way you describe. Reversing the factory tab sounds good.

Also, the orange bumper ends have been prettied up with some end caps fabbed in polished alu - that did not come out of the factory parts bin. Quite a few cars are done that way when the bumper horns are left off and people worry about the unsightly industrial look of the open bumper cavity. Are you going to leave them open and get them nicely painted inside with some color or use a cap?
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

John - that first picture (of R3) was taken by me.

I can't remember how the rear panel was attached but I have over 100 pictures of the car taken at all stages of its restoration - I'll check to see if I have any that show additional details.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    John - that first picture (of R3) was taken by me.

I can't remember how the rear panel was attached but I have over 100 pictures of the car taken at all stages of its restoration - I'll check to see if I have any that show additional details.
    Andy,

if by chance you find a photo or two of the bumper brackets and the backside of the lic. plate panel it would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks for the reply

JZG

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Hi John,

here is my guess:

The photo used for the sales brochure was probably jut airbrushed at the request of the Sales Department for the sake of cosmetics. Never trust the guys in the Sales Department.

My guess is that the orange panel was modded pretty much the way you describe. Reversing the factory tab sounds good.

Also, the orange bumper ends have been prettied up with some end caps fabbed in polished alu - that did not come out of the factory parts bin. Quite a few cars are done that way when the bumper horns are left off and people worry about the unsightly industrial look of the open bumper cavity. Are you going to leave them open and get them nicely painted inside with some color or use a cap?
    Actually that brochure was issued in several languages for Porsche's key markets and to the best of my knowledge is not airbrushed and / or retouched. I double checked the page in my copy of the brochure after your reply since you really sowed some doubt, but I must say it doesn't look like the image has been tampered with. Also, when looking closely at the the photo of the ass-end of the white car in the brochure it clearly shows the polished aluminum bumper caps, providing evidence that it appearantly was available from the factory...... I'm just not convinced the alum. caps were not a factory item. Unfortunately a careful re-reading of the Sports Purpose list and every Porsche related book in my reference library revealed no mention of anything we're talking about here & what I'm looking for.

In any event, I have already fabricated the polished alum. caps to fit very snugly and accurately in the open bumper ends and am now hoping for more information on how the panel is held in place before proceeding. If I find some info I'll be elated and follow what they did back in the day. If not, and I am left to my own devices, I will try to come up with a presentable solution.

JZG

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Actually that brochure was issued in several languages for Porsche's key markets and to the best of my knowledge is not airbrushed and / or retouched.
    JZG
    John, FYI,
    that brochure is from 1970 showing 3 cars with 1968/69 exterior door handles.
    The same brochure shows an unique 911S interior shot which picture was later replaced for the 1971 brochure.
    Registry member No.773

Raj,
    thanks very much for your response and your efforts to help in this project. With quality input I'm sure I can get it done.

Karim
    I wonder if the sales brochure photo of the unique doorpanel / interior is the first time the much maligned Fiat door-pull made its maiden appearance in a 911.

JZG

I,m in the process of doing the same to the backend of my car , really like the idea of the putting on some aluminium "blanking plates" on the rear bumber ends ,, anyone got some spares available ! or are they easy enough to get custom built ?

John - sorry for the delay ... I've checked the other pictures of R3 that I have & unfortunately none of them show additional details.

I'll try contacting Andrew (owner of R3) to see if he'll answer some of these questions directly.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks very much for your efforts, Andy.

JZG