Thread: color experts ..

color experts ..

Porsche had some colors that carried on over a period of time. For instance Bahama yellow and Polo red. Does any one know whether the 66XX Polo red is exact the same as 68XX Polo red or is there a slight difference in the formula?

Regards

Richard

Theoretically they should be identical since they were both paint color 012. I believe that the change from 66xx to 68xx like other biannual series was to accomodate a new lineup of offerrings. The basic series of 3 digit color numbers was "constant", but the codes that were stamped on the badges changed every few years until 1972 when the color numbers became the color codes; this was essentially unchanged until at least 1983.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I think they're the same color. 6602 (code 012) was the number for 1966-67 and 6802 was for 1968-69.

edit; yeah, what Dave said.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Theoretically they should be the same, but the color of Polo Red is often replicated incorrectly.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Richard,

I owe you a carpet reply, but that will have to wait till this upcoming weekend after I visit somebody who will have the answer.

As far as Polo red goes, my vintage Glasurit book shows the same formula over many years (formula no good now..paints have changed).

Eric

Thanks Eric. It's great to read that the formula remained the same.

Richard