Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale 1969 911 S Restored

Smile For Sale 1969 911 S Restored

For sale - recently restored 1969 911 S, VIN 119300093, engine #6390165. This is a COA engine and transmission numbers and exterior paint, Burgundy red #6808, matching, sun roof clip added, new or restored almost everything to a near full concours level, driven only 500 break-in miles. Engine and MFI rebuilt by prior owner in Scottsdale before I purchased the car, with zero hours, at a cost of $18,000 and I have spent over $50,000 in professional mechanical, paint and body, interior, and parts and over 500 hours of my time. These costs plus the cost to purchase a complete and nearly rust free example, at least $35,000, do the math, $18,000 + $50,000 + $35,000 + 500 hours X $??.??, more than I care to think about, well over $100,000. Every hour and dollar spent is documented on seven pages on Excel spread sheet and several hundred photos from start to finish. The original miles driven is unknown and doesn’t matter at this point.

Some of the restoration highlights are:

All hardware re-plated yellow cad, clear zinc or black oxide
    Door and quarter trim wasre-anodized by Marcos, King of Trim
    Dash re-covered by Just Dashes
    New interior by Autoweave, Denver, to include an NOS head liner, hounds tooth seat inserts, custom made carpets and door panels
    Steering wheel re-wrapped by Autobahn
    Wheels, original with correct date stamps, restored by Wheel Enhancements and five new Vredestein 185/70 HR X 15 tires
    Transmission rebuilt
    Brakes rebuilt
    Suspension rebuilt but not steering rack
    New windshield
    Gauges restored by North Hollywood
    Suspension components and engine sheet metal re-painted
    Gas tank restored with correct gray undercoating
    All chrome re-plated – seat hinges, outside door handles, bumper guards, head light rims, bezels, shift lever, heater control levers, etc.
    Seat sliders re-plated clear zinc and stands repainted
    New parts include: turn signal lenses, shocks, seals, bumper and side deco trim, etc., over $2,100 from Stoddard alone
    Meticulous attempt was made to re-undercoat and restore undercarriage, wheel wells, front and engine compartment
    Sun roof clip was added using a complete 1974 roof
    Radio restored to working condition

There is a 240 photo album at: http://imageevent.com/356consulting/...0r23.buffalo_s

Every attempt was made to retain the originality of hundreds of small details of this rare example and many of these are shown in the photos. Correct tool kit, jack and Owner’s manuals and factory Burgundy red, #6808, and touch-up paint tube included. Most of the obvious flaws shown in the photos have been corrected, the photos are two months old, I will try to post updated photos after the Parade.

Price mid $80,000's US

The car won first place in the early 911/912 touring class at the 2009 Keystone Parade Concours event, June 30, 2009, scoring 233.2 out of 235.0 possible.

Tom Scott
    www.356Consulting.com
    tomlynns@aol.com
    303-819-0101

1969 911 S For Sale

I have updated some of the ad information for this car. In particular, two photos of the COA were added and the fact that it won the ealy 911/912 touring class at the 2009 Keystone Parade, scoring 233.2 out of a possible 235.0.

Comments are welcomed and appreciated from the Registry members.

Thanks,

Tom Scott

Saw this car at the Parade in Keystone. It's a beauty!! Hood and decklid were down so I didn't see everything however, the body, paint and interior were awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No affiliation with seller. Just thought i'd put in my observations.
    Jim
    Early 911S Registry member#775

I was one of the judges that judged Tom's car...great car! It was hard to find anything wrong with it.

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Excellent pictures. Nice car. Can you post the judging sheet as to how the car was judged.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Score Sheets

The score sheets which were returned after the judging are NCR copies of the original and are difficult to read. However, I will try to scan or photograph tomorrow but I do not think either of these will produce anything meaningful. Otherwise, I will summarize the findings and publish these.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Tom

Well you didn't look very hard then John, in the pics supplied its missing trim of the pull down door pocket drivers side , overspray on the engine heat shield maybe thats where the lost points went!!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I once observed a concours judging and happen to mention to the judge that while the car was extremely clean I believed there were a few things incorrect. He said someething like clean is concours and then gave me the "go away son you bother me" look.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

1969 911 S For Sale

Gentlemen, please, lest we get too upset with one another, please read the comment in my first post, wherein I state,

"Most of the obvious flaws shown in the photos have been corrected, the photos are two months old, I will try to post updated photos after the Parade."

Perhaps I was premature in re-posting the ad. I will attempt to fix the photo album in the next few days, 4 or 5 at the most.

Thank you very much.

Tom

Doing a Parade concours is a major PITA... I've done a couple, and will probably do one again, but 2002 was the last time, and I still haven't gotten the bad taste out of my mouth.

The judges volunteer their time, and by and large they are extremely good, but they may not know the intricacies of the model of Porsche that they have been assigned to judge. I had several "mis-judged" items in 2002, could have protested, but I knew they wouldn't move me up past the next car.

Congrats to Tom for the work he did and how well he placed. His cars that I've seen over the years have been extremely well done. I'm kind of surprised that he didn't go into full concours given the work that they did to the undercarriage, but since I don't know who was competing in "full" there may have been a reason for him not going into that class. Tom did very well with a 1960 356 in 2007 in "full" restoration, think he was a division winner.

Insofar as what Tom may have missed... well for the most part, you will miss something,... I remember in 1991 in Boston, I was working on a GS/GT Carrera Speedster and was going through the undercarriage and found a HUGE gob of old grease up in a corner by the engine... this was the night before the concours! So I cleaned it out as best as I could and then painted over it and fortunately it dried before judging. At that same parade John and Kim Tolen (old time Parade concours guys will recognize them) lost points for leaving a baby diaper under the seat in a full concours speedster... it cost them the Manhattan trophy. There's never enough time to finish a car... trust me, though there are a few people who manage to, but they just write checks (for the most part) to the major restorers like Tom, John Wilhoit, Nate Cantwell, Skip Shirley, etc. etc.

I admire anyone who takes the time to go down this road, and I imagine this 69S is a stunner in person... as Tom's work keeps on speaking for itself with the trophy's he's garnered over the years within the PCA. I know I probably would be very hesitant to drive the car for fear of getting that "first chip".

cheers,
    Eric