Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Car . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    Not sure what your purpose by your post other than to run down Dodge and owners like my self. Prick!
    Seriously......

Both my Ram Diesels were Special Order trucks that took months to get. Big money 4WD trucks that NEVER towed, NEVER plowed and NEVER carried any payload.
    They were Commuter Cars... Both had 3:55 rear End Gears and Limited Slips. The second one, the Truck Manager came over to me and told me I had just ordered the
    most expensive Regular Cab Truck they ever sold.
    Both were driven by my School Teacher Wife daily and were ABSOLUTE nightmares. I'd NEVER buy another Dodge Product without the Lifetime Warranty they now offer..
    Anyone really interested in the disasters they were, ,feel free to PM me and ask..... Or you can just hide behind a monitor and name call...

I now have a cheap Chevy Colorado with 147,000 miles that has NEVER been back to the Dealer for ANYTHING.. Cost 1/4 of the Dodges and doesn't break....

Replaced our '99 Ford E350 Jehovah's Witness bus (15-passenger Club Wagon) with something smaller and way more fuel efficient: a new Mercedes Metris. Baby Sprinters rule.

Of all the "mini" vans available, this is the only one with a serious payload and tow capacity, and amazingly does it with a 2ltr turbo 4 and magical 7-speed gearbox. With a paddle shifter!

Bus Resto 003.jpg
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Replaced our '99 Ford E350 Jehovah's Witness bus (15-passenger Club Wagon) with something smaller and way more fuel efficient: a new Mercedes Metris. Baby Sprinters rule.

Of all the "mini" vans available, this is the only one with a serious payload and tow capacity, and amazingly does it with a 2ltr turbo 4 and magical 7-speed gearbox. With a paddle shifter!
    at least the 911 can out brake it.

2014 RAM diesel no hiccups, just a few years of recalls.
    They recalled and replaced the 4 year old Cat last month.
    Seems to be a new vehicle recall culture?

Back in 82 just needed freeze plugs on my 74? 390 V8 F250.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spitfire.jpg

Excellent...but have not seen neg camber before at rear.

Some consider these a car from hell. Imo, they are phenomenal when set up well.

spit.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    at least the 911 can out brake it.

2014 RAM diesel no hiccups, just a few years of recalls.
    They recalled and replaced the 4 year old Cat last month.
    Seems to be a new vehicle recall culture?
    That's what steered me away from a new Dodge.
    The new Cummins "ain't" what the old one was. The 5.9's still rule for durability! We've got an '89 on the farm with a half-million on it. Starts below 20º as well as it does at 70º. About 1 revolution!

I'd like to have that old FORD!!!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf_025 View Post
    Seriously......

Both my Ram Diesels were Special Order trucks that took months to get. Big money 4WD trucks that NEVER towed, NEVER plowed and NEVER carried any payload.
    They were Commuter Cars... Both had 3:55 rear End Gears and Limited Slips. The second one, the Truck Manager came over to me and told me I had just ordered the
    most expensive Regular Cab Truck they ever sold.
    Both were driven by my School Teacher Wife daily and were ABSOLUTE nightmares. I'd NEVER buy another Dodge Product without the Lifetime Warranty they now offer..
    Anyone really interested in the disasters they were, ,feel free to PM me and ask..... Or you can just hide behind a monitor and name call...

I now have a cheap Chevy Colorado with 147,000 miles that has NEVER been back to the Dealer for ANYTHING.. Cost 1/4 of the Dodges and doesn't break....
    Funny, I have had just the opposite results. Maybe that says something. I have well over 750,000 miles in Dodge trucks and been on the hook twice with once being my fault.

Why would you buy a diesel 4wd for a commuter vehicle for you wife? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Keep running them down. No hiding at all, just calling like I see it.

A cheap Colorado, now that sounds like the vehicle for you!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

The only problem we have is the engines outlast the cabs. Dodge STILL hasn't figured out how to make the wheel well openings STOP RUSTING. FWIW, my wholesaler friend won't touch ANY truck north of VA. PA and up are all rust buckets....frames too.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Farewell to My Bestie

Heading to work this morning, on my usual route, @~0430 PST, I'd stopped at a traffic light, then --- at the green, headed-out across the intersection . . . after casually glancing left and right

Was just about half-way across . . . when I hear tires screeching. Then a moment later, something comes out of the darkness to my left, and? . . .

. . . BOOM!

Got spun around ~90 degrees. The Other Guy continued on for a few yards, then pulled over on the right shoulder

Smaller car, '03 Toyota Corolla --- probably around the same size/weight as my BMW, but . . .

. . . most of what was forward of my little BMW's A-pillar was now twisted a coupla feet to the right of where it started-out when we left the garage this morning

And all this damage happened AFTER The Other Guy had already skidded about 100 meters to the point of contact

!

The only reason his car stopped at all? . . .

. . . was my Little Pony

398k mi

And that's all she wrote

Never had any car this long, with so many miles, on so many adventures

Gonna miss this one

A lot

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-22-2022 at 11:08 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

hope you are ok.
    but i know you are heartbroken
    having a car like that is like having a pet

I retired this truck for the 2nd time. It was formally the truck I did all my towing with, as well as my sometimes daily driver. We got a shop truck several years ago but I kept the gray truck to drive in crap weather and for Home Depot runs, etc. Having a truck is handy. Well at 243,000 it was getting increasingly loose so it's been retired again. Replaced with a Honda Ridgeline, which is very boring, but should last me at least the 10 years the Silverado lasted me.
    Kept the plates.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!