Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Car . . .

Several months ago I sold my 2008 R32 that was my other car. I commuted in it and brought my kids to school in it but there was something missing in the driving experience so I sold it. I replaced it with an oak green metallic over tan '92 911 C2. I found it in a small town in Maryland called Port Tobacco. The owner was a former Navy officer. The car was originally sold in Madison, Wisconsin and then made it's way to Miami Florida before landing in Southern Maryland. It now resides with me in Southern California. When the car arrived it needed a fair amount of deferred maintenance but Marco and Tony got me on the road quickly. The 17x7 and 17x9 rims were added at the same time care of Chris Tallon. Since March I've put nearly 10K miles on the car and with the exception of a broken shift linkage in the first week the car has been terrific. And here she is:

photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

I have found that the car is hard to photograph. The color is a shade darker than the metallic green on Rick's 70 S. I think she thinks look like a metallic toad and I love her very much.

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

I was there the afternoon you picked up your car, Dave. And before I forget . . . thank you for posting

I admit that I've never cared much for the 964, but --- thanks to cars + stories, like yours . . . I could be coming around

This car is gorgeous, and I remember being struck by the color, spending some time looking-over your rear-wiper install . . . but I didn't take a single picture. Too busy yapping, I guess

My loss

Funny thing is --- this car easily/completely misses four-out-of-six of my criteria for an 'Other Car,' and still . . . .

. . . I find myself thinking . . .

. . . how many bags of cedar chips can I get in that trunk?

Enjoy

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, The trunk is very spacious. I don't have a lot of use for cedar chips but I'm guessing a 50 lb. bag would easily fit in the trunk. In the spirit of full transparency I'm a 964 convert. I always thought the 993 would be the car for me. I wanted an air cooled car that would be comfortable for daily use but the 993 was too rounded for my taste. The 964 coupe was the right shape for me and the 3.6L engine provided the promise of a spirited drive. When I eventually rebuild the engine it will be pushed out to a 3.8L to 4.0L engine. I won't flare the fenders or secure a wing to the rear of the vehicle because to me there is nothing better than a sleeper. Thank you for the kind words. The car is a blast to drive. I'll happily let you take it out the next time I see you.

Best,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

For when the $hit hits the fan - good luck with that all wheel drive 964
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 11-04-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    . . . Rick, The trunk is very spacious. I don't have a lot of use for cedar chips but I'm guessing a 50 lb. bag would easily fit in the trunk. In the spirit of full transparency I'm a 964 convert. I always thought the 993 would be the car for me. I wanted an air cooled car that would be comfortable for daily use but the 993 was too rounded for my taste. The 964 coupe was the right shape for me and the 3.6L engine provided the promise of a spirited drive. When I eventually rebuild the engine it will be pushed out to a 3.8L to 4.0L engine. I won't flare the fenders or secure a wing to the rear of the vehicle because to me there is nothing better than a sleeper. Thank you for the kind words. The car is a blast to drive. I'll happily let you take it out the next time I see you . . .
    Dave . . . . .

. . . you are SO on!

And like-wise . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    Rick, The trunk is very spacious.
    lol
    you didn't just say that.

I drive a 964 as well and the only reason a 50# bag of anything will fit is because it morphs into the proper shape. Try putting a set of clubs in there or even a wheel/tire.

Back when I was a lad a trunk had to hold at least 3 teenagers to be considered spacious.

Rick,

I really don't think (after my recent $$$ bill at Dealer) I will buy another "modern" BMW. The costs to keep them running seem extraordinary. I have a Mini Clubman, which I purchased new in 2008 thinking it would save me money on gas, etc. It has only 65k miles on it, and yet... $4200 in repairs AGAIN. It has had issues with the timing chain, the timing chain tensioner, leaking gas from the sending unit, water from a few places, and needs some new gaskets. Not to mention how quickly tires go on it. It has been cared for very well, so I can't fault anyone but the manufacturer. Apparently, the heat and sun is part of the cause of deterioration; however, we also have a Volvo parked next to it with NO issues like this. The e46 M3 it replaced wasn't inexpensive to keep running either with various issue$$.

The dealership and BMW have both been good and provided some money towards the costs, but seriously??? Every 30k miles the car has some serious costs! I hear the same complaint from many regarding the costs of ownership being high on other models dating back to mid 90s.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Banned
    EXACTLY why we work on those miserable things Scott.

People buy them thinking they're "economical" to own.

Factoring in maintenance costs, recalculated MPG is 7-9.

Well here is a fun thread. Revitalized / Initiated by my favorite folks here too! Something to talk about when I haven't had my hands of a german car for nearly 3 weeks now

It could be that my greatest contribution to the welfare of my family is finding dependable high mile Japanese cars - and keeping them on the road

It was certainly job one until I could afford to 'branch out'... But I am proud to say that these cars have not seen the inside of any shop during my ownership except the tire and alignment guys.

Here is a shot of our utility crew taken in 2009. They are much the same today...

mtfriggens_030.jpg

My wife drives the Pathfinder, which I bought with 50k out of... Scottsdale Now has 145k and those chains are still hanging in there. I see these rigs parked at tranny shops, but so far so good. Zero issues other than maintenance except replacement of rear shocks. We will see how long this one goes.

The Acura Legend GS was the result of bidding on EBay on a car in Las Vegas when I had been drinking. I had studied and knew these cars were among the most solid ever created, but I had never seen the add before bidding on it that night! Who knew I'd make reserve? Turned out it was one owner car belonging to an autopaint wholesaler and while it turned out to have had damage, the paint shop wasn't going to screw over his jobber... Its the fastest most reliable car I've ever had, now sporting custom rails and a Thule rack capable of hauling 3 bikes (both cars are fitted with two car seats in the rear ). Bought it with 105k miles for $5800 and a one way ticket to Vegas! 189k miles now with the OEM timing belt kit on the shelf (I have about 1000 miles left before this -must- be done Transmission mount, a coil and the ignition relay are the only failures I have had here, although I "voluntarily" rebuilt the front end and struts, added a Sebring exaust and the K&N & Weapon R intake kit.

Both cars are on-going experiments in longevity. The Porsches shut down definitively any browsing through the M3 adds, all for the better

cars, cars, cars - Happy Thanks Giving Gents!~

Clam-shells

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    . . . I really don't think (after my recent $$$ bill at Dealer) I will buy another "modern" BMW. The costs to keep them running seem extraordinary . . .
    I hear ya, Scott

My devotion to Things-BMW pretty-much ended w/ the e30

Love to get an e28. Might spring for an e34 M5 . . .

. . . but anything newer?

Nope

BMWs are too complicated/sophisticated/feature-laden for their own good. Wonderful cars to own --- until something goes boing

Which is why I have what I have. Just re-built the M42 in my 318 . . . . after 258k mi. I coulda gone longer, but I'd brought her in for a service --- fix some oil leaks . . . did a compression check . . . found cyl #3 was 60 lbs off. Duff rings, so . . . .

. . . left her w/ The Mechanic, rented a Focus for a month . . . ~$10k all-in

I've always wanted a car that I could put a million miles on, and . . . I think this is The One. And I love the car. Like to think that she paid for my Porsche --- no car payment for 11 years, now

Anyway . . .

. . . 740k mi to go . . .

. . . Long live The Clam-shells!

PS I told The Mechanic to leave the toasted cosmoline on the cam-covers alone. I want my Old Cars to look Old
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.

We Can Be Heroes