Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fake RS is back for sale as genuine

I have no dog in the fight however the fellows on the RS Registry have everything to gain by protecting their "investments". Somebody really shoud rat this one out.

Get the facts in order and fire away.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Well, just to be clear

The SCM writer, Chip Lamb, says the car is "a well-executed replica with current FIA paperwork....." It is reported in the article that it sold 9/19/2009 for$99,267 including buyer premium at Bonhams. What say the list, market correct price for a darn authentic replica?

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Fidalgo911 View Post

Every issue has letters to the editor (near scathing at times) from readers who know the real story. A second voice may make the issue iron clad.

Anyone going to write a letter?
    You bet.

Allen,

I would call this a forgery, not a replica. The VIN on a '73T was tampered with to make it appear to be a '73 Carrera. This was a road registered car that someone tampered with, not a Porsche factory done rebody. Big difference IMHO.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    You bet.

Allen,

I would call this a forgery, not a replica. The VIN on a '73T was tampered with to make it appear to be a '73 Carrera. This was a road registered car that someone tampered with, not a Porsche factory done rebody. Big difference IMHO.
    Do we know for sure it was tampered with. Is there evidence that it did (or did not) go back to the factory? I'm just asking, not defending. If it never went back to the factory (and there is no proof of it) AND it was advertised as a factory rebody and it was not, I would agree with the term "forgery."

-Allen-

I just saw this thread, read it and was amazed by all the characters involved. It seems to me this car will always be portrayed by whoever is its current owner as an RS in some shape or form and not just a clone. Who wants to be the owner of clone if you can get away with calling it something closer to the real thing and some person of regard agrees with you? It seems that no matter who owns this car the historical evidence or lack of it turns them into believers that it has something to do with being 1316. With this kind of history this car may become more famous than the real thing It is interesting I didn't see any information about the original car or how or if it was destroyed.
    Early S member #1110
    '71 911 T Targa, 2.7 RS spec, sport seats "Milt"
    '90 928 S4, 37K mi.,grand prix white, cashmere "Bridget"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    Do we know for sure it was tampered with. Is there evidence that it did (or did not) go back to the factory? I'm just asking, not defending. If it never went back to the factory (and there is no proof of it) AND it was advertised as a factory rebody and it was not, I would agree with the term "forgery."

-Allen-
    Yes, no question whatsoever, it has been tampered with. The trunk stamp and AL VIN tag were not done by Porsche, no matter what Paul Ripley and his group of 'experts' say.

Porsche Classic personel uncovered the true identity of this car by back tracing the production to an orange '73 T coupe. The factory has no documents showing this car was rebodied there, because it never happened. As a matter of fact this '73T was a road registered car up to sometime in the 80's when the forgery was done. Those are the facts.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Well!

Brian,

That being the case, someone really should write SCM with documentation so the magazine can correct their errors. Thanks.

-Allen-