Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carrera rs v 70 911 s

carrera rs v 70 911 s

Am I crazy or not. I have the rs for a month now and I like the useable power of my S better. That sweet 2.2 motor. The S seems to be more interactive and involving to the driver. Am I making sense?

The S motor can be winded out more and because the geering seems shorter, there is more shifting and higher revs. The S feels a bit heavier, but in a good sense. Where am I going with this......

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I would be happy to volunteer a test drive on both cars to confirm your findings
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Maybe you should drive a 912 or a 2.0T for a few weeks and then get back in the RS. All symptoms would surely be cured.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

RS vs. 911S

Like the saying--Its more fun to drive a slower car fast than to try to keep a faster car under control. Chris 70S , S Reg.#205

I would say your RS is not performing as it should as there would definately be no comparasin if it was....
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Sorry - I'm with Boyer on this - your RS should feel completely different and it does sound as if it's not set up right.

The RS really changes character at 5k and from that point should be a banshee!
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

John,

You have to remember that both models are pivot points in early 911 history despite both being grouped together as 'small bumper' 911s.
    The 2.2 S was the last of the high compression / revvy motor / 911-901 trans series and the RS was the first of the low compression / higher mid range torque / 915 trans models.
    They both respond to slightly different techniques in driving to deliver optimum driving pleasure.
    You will find that the RS will ultimately be the faster 911 due to its increased mid range torque and the ablility of the 915 to translate this torque into road speed.
    On paper there is only 30 bhp difference in the two so you would think there shouldnt be that much difference in the end performance feel.
    Due to the first gear on the 2.2 S having to be treated more respectfullly and the torque curve not being as good as the RS,the 2.2 S doesnt feel as fast as the RS.
    The RS's 915 on the other hand is a much stronger trans that can take all the torque / power the RS has to give.
    My experience in this area is 13 years with a '75 Carrera 2.7 (RS running gear) and 5 years with my current '71 2.2 S.
    My preference,despite the Carrera 2.7's overall performance advantage,is for the 2.2 S as it is a more involving drive.
    It takes me back to the times when driving was a skill/technique to be rewarded.
    Mind you I would still like to have both in the garage...

(...gets back down from the hobby horse...)

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Your RS needs a tune up.

I see everyone's point and do not disagree on some level. The car runs fabulously and just went through a full tune up with valves and MFI. It runs very strong. It is more about my finding that the 2.2 s motor can be fully used around town, requires more shifting and is, perhaps a more intimate experience for the driver.

Third gear on the rs pulls at 2500 rpm up to 7000. That rpm range means one can be in third gear for very long periods of time, hence no shifting and less driver involvement. The 2.2 s motor and transmission gearing are much different, hence more driver involvement.

The thinner tires on the s, also seem to make the driver more involved. For some reason the rs feels like a departure from some of the earlier values. Knowing the motor is a step up from the 2.4 cars, I have heard many people state that with the reduced compression ratios of the 2.4 and 2.7 cars, that the 2.2 motor seems special and more fun to drive.

Perhaps, it is just an opinion issue and not something everyone would agree upon.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

member #1515
    I agree my 2.2. s was a very engaging car one had to use the gears all the time, nothing happens under 4500 and I was always winding it out to 7000 for the fun and to hear that whine! BUT The 2.7 has so much torque in comparison the character of the car changes completely you can achieve better performance with less effort and if you are really working it the 2.7 is very satisfying. When I had my 2.4 converted to 2.7 the car came alive. If you are in the wrong gear in a 2.2 your going nowhere, in a 2.7 it pulls in any gear. Torque, not horsepower is what gets the job done.
    I had an 1100cc Simca when I lived in France and I had so much fun with that car, going to work was like driving in a GP car except you were only going 50 miles an hour.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs