Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate R thread

D. Thiry / 1971 TA (911R fenders)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1971 Rallye de Franche Comte / Dominique Thiry - 'Christophe' (2nd overall)

By 1972 , D. Thiry had a differant car with 2.4 power (grp. 4 , Blue with orange bumpers and stripes). This blue car was being used by Valentin Bertapelle by 1974.

Heishman Porsche/Audi Alexandra Va.

Which one was the Heishman 911R? I was speaking with Heishmans son a while back and he told me the had one in their showroom. What ever happened to it?
    Rob Abbott

Raj wrote :
    ?No center gas tank outlet?
    Well, if we look at all photos of the Monza records, ..there is no center gas outlet on 001R ! (And, btw, same thing is also true for 002P.)
    Last edited by gva-sfo; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    And under what class did they run?

raj

(1971 Tour Auto Int.)

I only know of the international race listings . In this Int. race , groups 4 , 5 , 6 , where all listed together. So I cannot tell you for certain. I would assume group 5 or 6 ? If I find out I will let you know.

Interestingly in the international listings . The Barth - Dolhem car (No. 132) is listed as 2.6L. The other Porsche entries in this grp. are all 2247cc , 2395cc , 2396cc , & 2.4L (listed all as 911S) . With one 911T 1991cc entry.

The group 3 entries are all 1991cc (13 of them , all listed 911S ...for whatever that is worth regarding listed model).

I've never seen an entry list with vin numbers. Only on VERY rare occasions ...a licence plate #.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-11-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Peekaboo,
    I doubt that it is a different car, and I doubt that it is blue. (I.e.: look at some small details, too many things seems to be the exact same as the “green” photo.)
    But, most probably, the engine have been changed., i.e.: remember, there are some words that the original engine of 001R is in another car (991R still.)

In my opinion, the car that Dominique Thiry used was the same in all of these photos, and, IMO, there are good chances that it is 001R.

At the beginning, (i.e.: hill climb of Wissembourg, in the French dept. of “Bas Rhin”) it looked like :

Note that in the B&W photo that you did posted above, the (D. Thiry) license plate, seems to be the same, i.e.: 3287 QJ 67 ! (Note : 67 is the department (state) of “Bas Rhin”, were D. Thiry was from.)

And, at the arrival of the “Grand National” in 1971 :

..and before the restoration, it seems to have been like that :

At that time, the license plate changed, the car has plates from another French department “state”, i.e.: La Vendée, so, at the time of this photo, the car was most probably no longer the property of D.Thiry !

No , my referance to D. Thiry's 1972 car (later used by V. Bertapelle) was just saying that by 1972 Thiry was not using the green car with R front fenders (with extra wide flair). At least I don't think so. Unless this blue car was the green car with a complete make over (including new fenders & spoiler...or the old fenders modified to accept production lights).

As noted the Black & white photo I posted on post #190 was 1971 Franche Comte. And as you can see , yes it is the same green car.

I don't know how to put text in between photos on this forum , so I did not include a photo of the 1972 Thiry blue car I mentioned also in post #190.

Here he is in it. Again this is a 2.4 group 4 . I mean I think this is a differant car ? (you never know) . By 1974 (maybe earlier) , V. Bertapelle was using this blue car with the same exact paint scheme.

1972 Alsace-Vosges / D. Thiry below (2nd overall)
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Here is a photo of it / Thiry at 1972 Dijon , prior to the custom stripes . Blue here also.

Car No. 2

Here's the blue car in 1975 with V. Bertapelle at Ronde des Alsace-Voges . Beside the paint. You can see the same plates as here with D. Thiry in 1972. Well , at least the same plate number ...they were just painted on in front.

Bertapelle finished 2nd overall here behind J. Henry. I believe there is a ducktail that you cannot see. Because in 1974 , it had a ducktail. Yes, Plates ending in 67 are from the Bas Rhin area.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.

What year is the Course de Cote de Wissembourg photo from ?

Here's one I have of Thiry prior to the wider flairs & green Paint.

1970 Ronde des Alsace-Vosges

Notice another 911R / pilote Lutz...."Alsacien Lutz , au volant d'une Porsche 911R louée à Wicky". You can see it has a Swiss plate : louée à Wicky / 'Leased to Wicky' (i'm not sure if this is a mistake by the author, and should actually be leased FROM Wicky. With the Swiss plate I would assume so. And I see Wicky on the front fender).

But this Wicky car has pivot vent wing windows. On the 1970-71 Thiry photos car. I don't think I see pivot vent wing windows (although from the photos weve just been looking at , it's hard to tell). But I do not seem to see the 'normal' plexi 911R door wing or rear qtr. windows. Or are they there ?
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-11-2011 at 05:16 PM.