Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Head on a Platter!

You know, dave I got to thinking about this last night. Didnt you say that the guy that you got it from, had found it at a dealer on someones desk or somthing?

Perhaps it was some sort of promotional piece or something for Porsche dealers.

Just thinking out loud. I agree too, I cant figure out how mag would hold up to the heat of the combustion chamber, unless the actual combustion chamber is coated with something, or was coated with something?

Either way, guys, I had this in my hands, and its way cool!!
    What if the hokey pokey IS what its all about?

Didnt the ebay add mention it was on Bill Yates desk ?

The Ginther 911ST was sold to Bill Yates, a California Porsche dealer who competed with the car in Porsche club events and continued through the years to modify the car to keep it competitive. Fortunately as the car was modified over the years Bill Yates kept all of the original parts, so that when Dave Morse purchased the car from Yates in 1993 it made it much easier for the Morspeed crew to restore the car to its original configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

Bergspyder? They used a lot of bizarre materials in the quest for lightness on that one.

I think the theory of an factory-experimental part is interesting.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Perhaps Carl Thompson would have some knowledge of this head. He has/had quite a stock of 917 parts.
    http://www.pbase.com/917carl
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ing/index.html
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Perhaps Carl Thompson would have some knowledge of this head. He has/had quite a stock of 917 parts.
    http://www.pbase.com/917carl
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ing/index.html
    Thats funny that you mentioned that. Before you posted that, Dave had sent me the first link in a email yesterday.

Verrrry interesting.. I havent read any of it yet, but i did buzz thru the pictures real quick.

very cool.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what its all about?

Observation?

Note the fins are not all the same length, they are staggered on the Mag part, but are a common length on the 917 examples....
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Spoke to Carl Thompson today about the head. He tells me that the mag heads were experimental and only used on one engine. This must be a spare!

He rebuilt the mag head engine years ago, but said that he couldnt recall who the actual owner was.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

That is quite interesting. The factory did a lot of experimenting. The are also mag versions of the aluminum S caliper as well, in the 908 variant.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

One of the great e-Bay finds Dave! Did you ever find the owner of the experimental engine? Do you still have the head? Is there more story to this?
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...