I’m coming up on my one-year anniversary on this board, and with our Registry. In my short time here, I’ve enjoyed reading about the variety of cars and projects and commentaries that show up here, and contributing some of mine. I’ve learned some things, too --- things I hope to make some use of as my 911-time goes on. And I spend WAY too much time here.

But I’ve been thinking.

Back when I was into American GT cars, I was a member of the Shelby-American Automobile Club, SAAC. Never got a Shelby --- but I did just miss buying a ‘fake,’ thanks to SAAC. One of the things that always impressed me about that organization was that, over the years, SAAC systematically compiled a detailed listing of a lot of Shelby Cobras and Mustangs and other Shelby-type vehicles --- VINs, colors, equipment, special features, etc --- using just the hard work and contributions of their membership. SAAC published a listing of this information, the SAAC Registry, and pretty much became the ‘keepers of flame’ on all things Shelby. If you wanted to know about a Shelby car ---- you went to SAAC.

Which has me thinking . . . What would a genuine ‘registry’ of the old 911 ‘S’ look like here?

Let me put it another way. I think there’s a lot of interest, a ‘demand,’ as it were, for accurate details about the vintage 911. Whether we’re talking about ‘investors,’ ‘collectors,’ ‘restorers,’ or just people who want to know about our old cars, there are a lot of people with interest and money who want to know what’s what when it comes to a vintage 911. I also think that our Registry has an excellent supply of information, as well as cars and people, who can meet that demand.

I mentioned the Shelby Registry. And some may be familiar with Konradscheim’s Carrera book, pretty much THE source for information on the 2.7 RS. So, there are some examples of the kind of information a ‘registry’ would have: VIN, engine numbers, transmission type and number, colors, options, etc.

So I’ll repeat my question . . . What would a genuine ‘registry’ of the old 911 ‘S’ look like here?

Maybe this topic has come up before, but this has been on my mind, for a while now; it comes up every time I read about a discussion of ‘authenticity,’ ‘value,’ and ‘numbers.’ So, I’m just trying share some of my thoughts on the topic, and put the subject in front of this board. Here’s what I’ve been thinking.

I think The Early 911 Registry should become a 'real' registry and start maintaining and publishing details we collect on the vintage 911. There are a couple of things I think could be incorporated into such a registry:

1) All information belongs to The Registry

2) Any information can come in, from anyone, anytime; all that’s required is that the specific vehicle be identified and that some sort of documentation to substantiate that information be supplied; this could include CoAs, PPIs, auction results, sightings at club events, testimonials from previous owners (with proof of ownership), etc

3) Submissions of information into any record must be paid for, according to some schedule: photos cost so much, notarized documents cost so much, etc

4) Owners could view information on their vehicle at any time, at no charge

5) Records could only be viewed with the approval of the current registered owner; this information would take the form of a summary that could include:
a. Dated photographs of the vehicle according to a set format
b. The vehicle’s ‘numbers’
c. Equipment and options fitted
d. Ownership history
e. Modifications and repairs
f. misc

6) If a current owner allows a record to be viewed, then any information that’s made available must be paid for –- with a portion going to the owner, and another to The Registry.

Yeah, yeah, I’m sure there are lots of details to square away, but you see what I’m getting at, here. At some interval, The Registry could publish a summary of their records, along the lines of SAAC or Konradsheim’s book; VINs, engine #s, colors, etc. Do a section for each of the variants, including ‘Rs,’ ‘T/Rs’ and ‘S/Ts.’ No names or personal details --- just a current survey/overview of the known vintage 911 S population. Charge money, discounted for members.

I know this would be no small task for The Registry to take on; I’m sure there are legal, resource and man-power issues. But, I believe that, given the interest in our hobby, and the number and uniqueness of our vehicles, we can develop a resource to enhance both, a real registry of the vintage 911. And make some money doing it.

What do you think?

Rick Kreiskott