Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Restoration costs vs Cash flow

Raj,

PM just sent...

Eric

Raj,

Just sent an email through the server here, check that please. Want you to read and reply.

I don't think it necessarily a divisive thread, I think it's just fine!

cheers,
    Eric

BTW, if you don't get that, please send me your email at my email address, elinden at earthlink.net

cheers,
    Eric

I think it ALL boils down to finding THE RIGHT PEOPLE that you TRUST and that KNOW what they're doing.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

All this reminds me of a job I was offered last year. I wouldn't pin down a price and i got under bid. The owner finally got the car back a year after the deadline. It wasn't too Porsche standards so it had to go to another painter and get more work and repaint. Cost a bundle in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    I think it ALL boils down to finding THE RIGHT PEOPLE that you TRUST and that KNOW what they're doing.
    And that's exactly what it boils down to.

There are many of us on this board who know a lot of people around the country who do exacting work for fair prices, and they would prefer to work with people they like.

Raj, so what kind of engine, and I think there are many here who would be happy to send you references on another shop who would be happy to do the work right the first time.

cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    ... snip ...

This reminds me of an old joke: A guy takes an expensive watch nobody has been able to fix to an old watchmaker. The watchmaker takes the watch back cover off, blows on the mechanism and it starts right up. He says, that will be 300dls. The guy looks at him and says WHAT? for that? The watchmaker takes the watch and blows again, the watch stops. The guy says , ok I'll pay. The watchmaker blows again, starting the watch and says that'll be 600 dls.
    I digress but there is a wonderful story about Charles Steinmetz, a genius of an electrical engineer for General Electric in the early part of the twentieth century.

On one occasion after his retirement the other engineers around GE were baffled by the breakdown of a complex of machines. Unable to make any progress, they finally asked Steinmetz if he would come back and see if he could pinpoint the problem. Steinmetz spent several minutes walking around the machines, then took a piece of chalk out of his pocket and made a cross mark on one particular piece of one particular machine. When the engineers disassembled that part of that machine it turned out to be the precise location of the breakdown.

A few days later they received a bill from Steinmetz—for $10,000; a staggering sum in those days for a few moments work. This seemed exorbitant so they returned it to him with a request that he itemize it. After a few more days they received a second itemized bill: Making one cross mark: $1.00, Knowing where to put it: $9,999.00

.... You got to pay for that know how somehow...
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Trust me when i say my carb retune was more than a engine and trans rebuild.That would never fly in any other industry in this day and age.And i still don't have my car.

Raj
    Raj....your car wouldn't just HAPPEN to be in....Pasadena...., would it? PLEASE...say no...!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Trust me when i say my carb retune was more than a engine and trans rebuild.That would never fly in any other industry in this day and age.And i still don't have my car.

Raj

Sounds like more than the cost of just buying new carbs. I think in case like this a shop has a responsibility to inform you that costs may be excessive, and why. I would think a shop would want to do this or they could get a reputation for ripping people off.

Please say No !

Raj....your car wouldn't just HAPPEN to be in....Pasadena...., would it? PLEASE...say no...!

I Like this Thread alot ! ...Valid Questions in my opinion .
    TB

$600? I had a cataract transplant a few years back. Total bill was about $10k for about one hours work. Did the anesthetist, nurse and operating suite at Mass Eye and Ear really require the other $9,400?
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512