Thread: Suspension pan - repair or replace? ('71 Targa)

Suspension pan - repair or replace? ('71 Targa)

Well, my first setback...found the dreaded 'top down' rust in the suspension pan today. During pre-purchase, I poked around there pretty good with the screwdriver, but that thick undercoating was surprisingly beefy and looked good too. Lesson learned.

Any rate, here's the deal and the pics...

- classic top down rust deterioration pattern
    - erosion on driver side corner (see pic); passenger side seems to be absolutely fine (I think the car sat outside tilting to the driver side...water accumulated in front left corner)
    - also erosion in the pan just below the center tank support bolt, about 2" wide (can also see in the pic)

I've read all the threads on front pan / tank support replacement and understand it's a fairly standard, but involved, procedure for early 911s.

My question is if there is another repair option aside from the full pan / tank support install? I ask because pass side, tank support, battery tray, etc. are all good...only major concern is the driver side front corner.

I want to do this 'right' and understand this is more than a cosmetic issue (tbar stability), but at the same time want to know all possible options for repair.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

replace. probably won't be the end of the rust you find.

Replace it. From my experience, the rust you're seeing is a small percentage of the total.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Replace. Definitely.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Talking

mine had less rust than this and i have totally replaced it ... why take the chance
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Yep, I pulled out the tank support and, suffice to say, the decision was made for me. New pan it is.

Restoration Score at the end of week 1: Scope creep 1, Wishful thinking, 0

I also had less rust that yours and replaced the entire pan and tank support. Once you remove the tank support you may find more rust. This is usually the case.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster