Thread: Polish or Replace Windshield

Question Polish or Replace Windshield

The windsheild in my car was replaced many years (and miles) ago, and now has a number of very small chips. In addition, and most noticeable when driving into the morning sun, the entire surface almost appears to be "sandblasted".

Since there are no cracks or rock chips, I'm considerinig attempting to polish the imperfections out. Can anyone recommend a specific product? What results can I expect?

If I decide to replace it, where can I buy a windsheild for my car?

Thanks,

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I was in the glass business. Rule of thumb is if you can feel an imperfection with the point of a needle, it won't polish out. The material used is cerium oxide on a hard felt pad driven by a drill motor.

You can buy an original early type WS from TRE Motorsports. You can buy a generic (with a non stock tint band) for less than 150 everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    I was in the glass business. Rule of thumb is if you can feel an imperfection with the point of a needle, it won't polish out. The material used is cerium oxide on a hard felt pad driven by a drill motor.

You can buy an original early type WS from TRE Motorsports. You can buy a generic (with a non stock tint band) for less than 150 everywhere.
    Thanks for your help Zeke.

I scheduled an installation appointment for this afternoon with Safelite, $205 installed (with non-stock blue tint band).
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Update

"Too good to be true".

I was quite impressed this morning when, with a few key strokes on the Safelite website, I was able to schedule an appointment for this afternoon to have the windshield in my 37 year old Porsche replaced. "What a wonderful world"... I thought.

The Safelite Tech showed up this afternoon, and we quickly determined that the replacement glass he brought with him had a big scratch in it....right in the middle of the glass! So, he's supposed to come back tomorrow with another replacement windshield.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921