Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: early 911 aluminum front bumper!?

early 911 aluminum front bumper!?

Hallo everybody!

Does anybody know if Porsche ever manufactured an aluminum version of the early bumper up to 73? Well, I actually purchased one a few days ago. The seller didn´t know where it came from either. I went through all of my Porsche books but there is no mentioning of an aluminum bumper. To my knowledge even the R and ST had fiberglas bumpers. By the way the bumper weighs 2.4kg which is equal to 5.5 pounds. Any idea?
    Thanks,

Stefan

no idea but is it the early type that curves under? or the later more aerodynamic type like they put on the "S"?

alloy bumper

.....no "S" bumper, just the regular.... pixs attached!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That's even got the correct dimples on the bottom edge! SWEET! I've always thought about the repro companies stamping bumpers out in aluminum. If they already have the tooling.....
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Aluminum bumper
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Question

Interesting. I have always wondered if my front bumper is aluminum.
    It has to the metal paint chips that do not rust, and a magnet will not stick to it. I have never had it off the car though, so I really don't know. I would find it pretty funny if it is aluminum, and then has 25lbs of dead weight glued into each corner.
    Joe
    Now - 1993 C2
    Past - 1968 911L

Are you sure it is 5.5 lbs.? Did you use a bathroom scale?

That wt. is a lot lighter than fibreglass bumpers - mine weighs over 10 lbs. with the brackets.

That does seem light. My alum engine lid weighs 4lbs.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I used my bathroom scale! However it is pretty precise! It shows the 0.1kgs! I took the weight of myself holding the bumper and another time without it. Give and take 2 pounds I would estimate. However the question remains on which cars the bumper was from the factory put on!? In my oppinion an aluminum front bumper doesn´t make much sense not matter which way you are looking at it! On the regualr T,E and S´s nobody wouldn´t want to save weight in the front if the behind is overweight in the first place! In addition just picture the sport seat brackets and wonder why anybody would want to save weight at all. The only 2 cars that would make any sence are the "R" and the "ST" in my oppinion but only than if there was a shortage on plastic........

Stefan, I came across a aluminum front bumper when I was at the dealership in 73. It came in with a steel part number on it and I remember that it was very light. My guess that it was mixed-up in parts distribution or from a dealer buy-back that couldn't find a correct number. I sold it to a body shop as part of his order.
    H