Thread: Adjustible Clutch Fork on early production 70 911's

Drive 911's - Shoot 1911's gan911s's Avatar

Adjustible Clutch Fork on early production 70 911's

A few months ago I replaced the clutch cable on my 70 S #9110310125 when the plastic cable end failed. (no more plastic) I found an article on the web "Pull" Clutches and Their Works in 2.2 Engines by Roger Chaney, Technical Editor, 1/72 that was very helpful. Chaney mentioned that clutch adjustments with this system is a bit different...Freeplay is adjusted by loosening the locknut and turning the adjusting nut at the clutch fork fitting front end. Turn the nut until clutch pedal freeplay (pull pedal to the rear and release) is 20-25 mm (0.8-1.0”) when measured about center of the foot pad.“This adjustment will shrink as the clutch disc wears and the throw-out fork will eventually move forward far enough to hit the clutch housing. The earliest 1970 cars had no way to correct for this, but this was soon changed by installing an adjustable clutch fork (see Diagram B). “
    My fork was not adjustable. When did the factory change to an adjustable clutch fork in the 1970 model year? Did Porsche offer upgrades or notification of changes?

George Nolder

George, I have been searching for this type of arm off and on for 15 + years. I have parted out at least 6 70-71 911's in that time both Euro and USA and have never found one. Also have put up WTB's since the first day I had access to internet way back when. If this part exists it has eluded me.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Adjustible Clutch Fork on early production 70

I'm afraid that was somehow a misquote, there is no such thing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Drive 911's - Shoot 1911's gan911s's Avatar
    So, Chaney's article, www.911t.org/wklyreprint/pullclutches.htm is not accurate regarding the adjustable clutch fork as seen in diagram B.

I'll need feed back on my technical post regarding possible push/pull cable tension issues.

Thanks,

George

Adjustible Clutch Fork on early production 70

I have that up-fixen right in front of me and I have reread it half a dozen times, and still have no idea what Roger was referring to or where he got that drawing. Any adjustment at that point on the fork would have to be bearing against the trans housing which would then block the fork from moving and disengaging the pressure plate. I've been working on these cars since 1967 and I have never seen this. If someone can find one please take a picture and show me! Occasionally the manuals don't get it all right, for example on the very 70-71 cars this article pertains to, the shop manual gives this elaborate procedure for screwing bolts in the pressure plate to disengage the fork from the throwout bearing. I'll guarantee you every shop knows you just pull back on the fork, turn and release the bearing, ....3 seconds.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.