Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update - 68 911S now Home

Update - 68 911S now Home

OK... Finally got the car from Cali to New York. Horseless Carriage Carriers was used, and driver Paul was great. Car made it fine, a little delay as the driver had a few pickups added, but as drivers for trucking companies pay for their gas they gotta get all the pickups they can. As a quick history, Uncle bought car from OO in early 70's, had engine rebuilt in 97 and soon suffered a knocking noise. Checked it out after rebuild of HArdi pump and it is rod knock, receipts from Motor Meister do not show new rod bolts so that is probably what happened, old bolts retorqued and stretched. Uncle wanted car to go to someone he knew would take care of it and treat well, so gifted it to me and even paid the transport! I have had a chance now to look everything over and determine needs etc. Plans are to restore to original status (Euro lenses, H1 lamps or H4 with H1 lens, replace badge with orange one, reface gages correctly, and get rid of speakers as well as fix dash crack) and have a driver/show car. OO had to put US equip on car when imported, and Uncle had a smog issue and they made him change carbs to 40 IDA from IDC. Will keep non-original Pertronix and Carrera tensioners (reliability) and possible upgrade to the 3 point seatbelts (safety); otherwise plan on stock.

Questions: Can Weber 40 IDA be converted to 40 IDC?
    Good source for 68 door panels (speakers installed)
    Source for rear window heater hoses (orange foam?)

As a side note, researching other items: The parts manual shows labels for knobs (fog light, blower, etc) in 68 but no labels were used on any pics I have seen, but 911 restoration manual shows them... which is correct???

Pics attached... Including a golf cart that was on truck made to look like a model T, strange but cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

More pics. No rash on rims... perfect! Engine is number-matching. COA says Lt Ivory original color but like the black! Rear lid was replaced and barred lid installed from early 68 though at 1234 this is a late 68.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

Hi,
    I took delivery of a '68 S coupe in August: from Italy, light ivory with black interior, chassis # 1080. The car is currently being refurbished.

Here in Stuttgart the heater hoses ar NLA. Regarding the door panels however, my mechanic had a roll of original waffle vinyl so he could remove the speakers from the doors and recovered the lower part of the door panels.

Good luck and fun getting your car back to original configuration!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Wow! Nice! Cali black plate black car, that is one nice looking car. Indeed I'm curious about the plate also.

68S 's are popping up of late. One of our members here just bought a 68S coupe
    at the Monterey events this august, I believe he already drove it home down to L.A. from the Bay area.
    for a car that was not available in the US, they sure are resurfacing here.
    for 68 there were 442 SWT 911S and 1267 S coupes ....those are good numbers considering we lost some to rust, crashes and 80's updates, ect..??

Congrats
    best Richard
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

the plate appears correct with Y for the first letter.
    I have an orig black plate with 66-67 tags with the first letter R
    Y would be plausible as a sequence coming out later for a 68...??
    it is near the ending of the era of the black plates in 69 as the alphabet runs out.
    makes sense. its probably the cars original plate which makes it a rare and very desirable car.
    get us more photos...
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

The plates are correct according to CA DMV. 1970 was intro of blue/yellow. Handy little license plate info from dmv: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/appendix_1e.pdf

VIN 11801234.. definately a 68, and COA shows engine # matches.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT

I do not know the original import date. You can do a title search with CA DMV to determine your car's original date. Headrests were added to the car (factory original) as a requirement.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    This is an interesting car.I am wondering how it passed DOT-obviously it is a car not imported to the US-so no side marker lights on your car,no emergency switch in the middle and also i think there was something about steering wheel lock-not sure about that, so how did it get registered?-do you have the ownership history-e(soterick)were you allowed to import cars independantly and register cars? neat car that it was US registered not too many of those i bet.could you post pictures of the headrest and was there smog mods done?if not how did it pass emissions?can you ask your uncle who the original owner is?

Raj

Uncle does not remember the original owner, who imported the car, but individual cars can be imported. No side lights, but the headlights, and taillights had to be put to US style when imported. The car did not require mod for emissions as a personal import but had to be smogged (thus the carb change, which happened in the 90's).
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT

Quote Originally Posted by docrodg View Post
    No side lights, but the headlights, and taillights had to be put to US style when imported.
    Interesting requiring taillights only they are indeed USA, fronts are Euro.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Interesting requiring taillights only they are indeed USA, fronts are Euro.
    Yeah, but then again CA has weird requirements. The replacement was on import.
    Fronts are getting a little baked-off on the amber so need replaced too.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT