Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWB vs. LWB

I have one of each and think the SWB is more fun, but that is mostly due to the live nature of 165 tires and no rear sway bar. My LWB has big tires and stiff sways, so it is definitely more planted. Definitley not apples to apples on the setups.

Both rock.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Early 911s are essentially "erector sets" for adults

Which explains why building these cars is so addictive...we can "bolt-up" components from cars that are 20-30 years newer. We can accessorize either SWB or LWB cars with a miriad of improvements from engines and transmissions to suspension, wheels and brakes. It has been a long time since I have driven a stock SWB or LWB car....and I probably couldn't tell the difference between them. But it hasn't been very long since I have driven rather modified, very well sorted, considerably lightened SWB and LWB cars and they all have personalities of their own...ain't that beautiful

Speedo
    registry# 1283

SWB vs. LWB

I have one of each. I think it is a matter of personal preference. To me the SWB car is a little more primitive and you notice the shorter wheelbase in the ride. It tends to buck around a little more. I think the LWB car feels a little more modern and the longer wheelbase gives a slightly better ride. Both handle like an early 911. It could be argued that the SWB cars are a more "pure" 911 because that is how they were first designed. Both are fun. Both can be made to handle well. Drive a couple of each and you'll know what you like.

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    I just read this post and found many interesting comments.

After having owned and driven both, I find myself being more drawn to the SWB. Despite the fact that the LWB are supposed to be the "improved" versions of the early 911s, there is something about the SWB that is distinct.

It would be nice to hear more opinions out there..

Regards.
    @aircooledph on Instagram

old softie67S

It depends on wheels and tires

If a SWB has 4.5 wheels and 165s you can not compare it's handling to a LWB which will probably have a minimum of 6's and 185/70 tires. I have owned both LWB and SWB. I and can tell you I scared myself with 4.5 wheels and 165's on my 67S a lot more often than my 73. If you want to drive a completely period correct car, including original wheels and tires, a SWB simply can not handle as well as a LWB..

When I mothballed my original rims and put on 7Rs with 225/50R rubber on my SWB, I would never have thought it was the same car.

On exactly identical wheels and tires, I suspect the driving characteristics outlined in previous posts are true to some degree, but the handling would be far more similiar than different.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

I have both... I tend to agree with most people that the SWB cars just have a special feeling. Its not all about the handling but rather the overall feel of the car. The interior nuances, the silver trim, the simplicity... If the LWB long hood cars are that much more special than a short hood variation (74+) then I think the SWB have a similar feel over the LWB cars.

Now all that aside, if I had to daily drive one it would be a LWB. If I had to go out and really put on some hard driven miles, I'd probably take the LWB.

But for short spirited drives, who wouldn't rather look at this?

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I had the opportunity to ask this guy what he thought about the change over since his first place finish in the 1968 Monte Carlo rally, He said " Really? they lengthened the wheel base in 69, Mmm, hadn't noticed".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Abbott

Well Rob, I'd say that is about the end of this discussion!
    Paul
    83SC, bone stock (not so much anymore)
    69T, 2.8 RS spec, MFI (Sold, but not forgotten)
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506