Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastic Singer 911

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by johndglynn View Post
    Some facts might be nice.

I've been on track at Silverstone GP in an early ('74) 911 running a 410 bhp version of that motor in a decent chassis (similar gear to the Singer) and we blew the doors off several GT3 RSs that run there all the time, no competition. 996 Turbo and a new KTM track thing were also very little trouble - only brand new race Ferraris were faster. Remember this is a very light car with a whole heap of power and a shedload of grip on R compound Michelins. They are really easy to drift with that sort of power and very difficult to spin it, even if you are a relative newbie, as the grip is prodigious.

The potential of the Singer far exceeds anything most 911 guys have ever experienced in an early car.

I know of two people who are well in the frame to put their hands up for a Singer - both like to track their existing modern and classic Porsches. They would definitely take one of these on track: helmet on, crank up the air con and go for it.
    All good points and facts. And I don't doubt that '74 is a killer on the track. And I once caught a 997 GT3 in the wet at Willow Springs in my '69 911E with 140 HP. He had the wrong tires and I didn't.

But you still can't convince me that a 911 with more than 200 HP doesn't need a proper aero package running in concert with all that mechanical grip for the track. And the lighter the car, the more important downforce becomes, no? What kind of rear wing and front splitter do you run on that '74? Would you be willing to switch out that package for what's on the Singer, then push your car to 10/10's? Because for safety's sake, I wouldn't let you do it, and I don't even know you.

Anyways, I wish your friends well with their new purchase. Because if I had an extra $300K laying around, this car wouldn't even be a consideration.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

member #1515
    why not just backdate a 964. quite a bit cheaper.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs