Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which horn goes with which years, 69-73?

Which horn goes with which years, 69-73?

Here's three kinds of horns that I have on hand. Actually, I have a set of black trumpet horns, too, which look a lot like the red trumpet horns shown here. I am 99.9% sure that the red trumpet horns are original on my 73. The snail horns are on my 71, and I'm not at all sure that they are original to the car. The banjo horns, shown on my messy workbench, are, I think, the correct horns for my 71. Show left to right, top to bottom: snail, trumpet, banjo styles.

Can someone fill me in?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

there's a thread which shows a pic of the various horns , bracket and correct year for them - I've just not found it yet !!
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Thank you, Nick. We all need to be reminded to use the search button from time to time.

Here's the most comprehensive thread that I found on the topic: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=8575

I don't think that there is a definitive answer in the thread, though there is considerable criticism for wondering about which horns are correct. At least I know, now, that the horns on my 71 are wrong, and that I probably have the correct ones sitting on my bench. I also feel guilty for worrying about it.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom, if you need the black snail horns, I would trade a pair for the red horns on the bench, which is what I need.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Thank you, Olin, but I'm pretty sure that the red banjo horns are what I need for my 71.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,

Does your '73 have the S group/appearance group option ?
    If not then you probably should have the snails.
    If you have this option,then you probably should have the trumpets.I vaguely recall in the memory banks(Christophorus ?) that there was an upgrade to the trumpets along with the S instruments etc - but I am too lazy to go chasing the source right now.
    Similarly I thought the banjos were for a later - big bumper - 911.
    It depends whether you want your car to be a show car or a driver to blast those soon to be obselete Cayennes out of the way.

HTH,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Both cars came with the S package, or appearance group, but if you'll check the thread that I posted a link to, above, you'll find that the consensus there was that the snail horns ended before 72. The reason I wanted to change the horns has everything to do with driving and dealing with SUVs. Those snail horns (an Italian aftermarket item, I believe) are too wimpy to be heard from an SUV with a stereo and sealed windows. I figured that it would be nice to restore a stock item at the same time that I give my 71 a bigger voice. The 73 horns emit a nice, piercing yell.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

My 70 came with the snails but since the resto isnt 100% correct I want to upgrade the horns to the best sounding ones. What is everyones opinion? Thanks, Mark
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

I just read this with interest as I put up a WTB ad for horns for a 73 car. I also reread the posted old thread. I have a virgin 73.5 car that has 2 red horns. One is pointed downward that is mounted to rear of the battery box. The other is pointed forward and mounted on the 8mm bolt that goes through the fender brace that mates up with the L bracket that bolts to the side of the battery box. This T has the S options. Wider moulding,steel front spoiler,gauges,ect.
    Anyone have some nice red horns for sale?

...like this Rick... ?
    Can't recall where I got this pic from...

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44