Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTB: brown heater hoses

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    They're "brown" only from age/oxidation/heat. Fresh and new they are BLACK. Sierra Madre had them, but you have to call an ask for the "original" stuff. Otherwise you get the silver PorscheAG/dealer stuff. The heater box/valve hose is orange silicone and Jim at EASY has the right stuff. Again the dealer stuff may be technically better,but is no where close to original.
    Since my period OEM and NOS heater hose photos were used here as a pictorial reference, I feel I should post.

Let me see if i understand this correctly.... "They're "brown" only from age/oxidation/heat. Fresh and new they are BLACK".

SO, the hose material goes from Black to Brown due to age and oxidation. Really? I find that hard to believe for some reason. The heater hoses were never black, the original hoses were all brown, the new so called ”Correct” black ones pictured have a bar code label on them so they are not NOS, just new. While Mark Ebersfield(sp?) is getting kind of close, it’s still way off. While some have even tried to airbrush the hose with great attention to color hue while paintiing the tan hoses brown, they haven't had great success either. The only aging I've seen actually goes the other way around with the brown hoses turning a shade of grey in the engine compartment, while the hoses under the front hood that never see the light of day pretty much remain in their original brown color.

That’s my $-.02 worth and I’m sticking to it!

PS: If 'Black' is the correct color for a period OEM hose, then why is Mark trying so hard to paint them brown? Why not leave them Black as the so-called "original" and "correct" color?

20160115 Porsche - OEM NOS and USED Heater Hoses - Photo 01.jpg
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 01-15-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Banned
    Black hoses matter.

I can't believe no one is making brown hoses.

(BTW: I agree on the whole "age" thing. The hoses were originally brown. Next you guys are going to tell us they shrink considerably when they get wet or cold.)

Ya, we have to do our due diligence and always careful on what we read that gets posted on the internet. The wrong information will only get you the 'wrong parts', or send many unknowingly in the 'wrong direction'. LOL

Well of course there is shrinkage of the hose when it gets cold! Oh, wait. I think you might be talking about something else...
    Bernd Buschen
    R Gruppe # 357
    71' 914-6 Original Owner
    70' 914-6 GT Stoddard Built
    69' 911E Scott's car
    70' 914-6 Sold

Like I mentioned earlier, "I'm a subscriber..." ; )

I was always told they were closer to a tan "light brown" color when new, and then darkened to a more true brown color over the years, sort of a tea stained color. There must be some factory photos of completed engines to use as a reference?
    1969 911 E #824

I need one more original hose for drivers side defrost. Wanted: SBDSH. Aka Single Brown Drivers Side Hose. Anyone able to help my dreams of eternal happiness come to fruition, please reply.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

here's a factory engine assembly line photo from 71. It's not super sharp, but it should help approximate the correct color. Interesting that it shows a T, then E, then S engine. 71 engine.jpg
    1969 911 E #824

Quote Originally Posted by Doginu View Post
    Thanks Rich for sending the hoses. Perfect as you promised. Now I only need one more for the Drivers side defrost under the dash. If anyone has one, please let me know.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"