Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSPR Road Trip

LSPR Road Trip

Worked my a$$ the last week or so to get the cars ready but we'll be leaving around 6AM tomorrow morning for the Lake Superior Performance Rally. This is the last rally of the year for Rally America. It's about 450 miles north of me and it's been cold and snowing up there for a week or so. We'll eventually have 5 ur quattros in the caravan. Can't believe I had to pack all my snow gear!

The 3rd foto is my friend's car. It just came out of paint Fri. He sprayed the Audi stripes over the weekend. Then cleared and sanded it Tues. Put the graphics on today. He still needs to put the windshield in, trim, etc. by noon tomorrow when we meet up with him And he's using this car to run Medical Sweep on all the stages!
    Attached Images Attached Images

but does it have a working radio?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

There's a scientific reason why they call these "gravel tires" and not 'drive down the concrete highway for 6 hours' tires. A quick 5-minute tire change in Marquette.

Looks as though you might luck out with the weather, I was expecting to see a foot of snow on the ground. How are you going to get home without tearing up the rest of the tires?

Have fun, take lots of pictures, and bust Pastrana's balls for screaming like a woman before he hit the deer.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Good to see Kevin was driving when the tire blew.
    Troy's(?) car turned out amazing! Looks like there was no problems with the windshield.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

After looking more closely at the tire, it looks like something sharp was run over. A few random pics from a FANTASTIC weekend. The snow did hold off for the most part.

BIG shakeup in the rally scene this morning at the season-ending banquet. 3 events are being cut from the schedule including LSPR - the longest running and best attended rally in the series They're replacing them with European Rallycross style events (basically, X-games stuff inside a stadium ) and all 3 of them will be at the same venue in NJ Oh well, we've still got SnoDrift in Michigan.

Oh, and Ken Block is going to WRC with Ford.

Curt, I think you need to start you own rally series.
    Who cares what they do in a stadium in NJ, (besides charging for seat licenses)??
    Cars look really nice. I was expecting to see an 82SC Cab fanatic with mud flaps in those pics?

Perhaps next year you'll have your Impact Bumper in Rally SCRS guise?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

3rd pic: all weekend, people were calling the motor in Tim's car a Porsche Motor (it uses an intake manifold from an Audi RS2 - the RS2 engine was a joint effort with Porsche), including the announcer guy at Parc Expose who asked a trivia question about it to the crowd! I was at a stage and a group of guy's saw the car come thru and one says, "that car is awesome! It's got a Porsche 911 motor in it!"

For some reason, I had a Porsche crest in my tool box so I installed it on the hood early this morning for everyone's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    Perhaps next year you'll have your Impact Bumper in Rally SCRS guise?
    That topic was being discussed over one too many beers at the pub last night

The team manager for Subaru stopped by and turns out he's a huge quattro fan. He saw the tires on the roof of my '81 and said it reminded him of John Buffum driving a chase car behind Michele Mouton. Apparently, the factory had a special rally car with a 3rd seat mounted in the back for a mechanic. There were tires on a roof rack, spare radiators and parts in the backseat area and the mechanic with a raised bubble in the roof for headroom. They would chase Mouton's car through various stages at full speed. Buffum once looked back at the mechanic while at full tilt and he was sound asleep.

Random YouTube Vid