Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Market Values

I know someone who I don't believe to be a bad person but his version of "the truth" is a little different than mine.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I know someone who I don't believe to be a bad person but his version of "the truth" is a little different than mine.

Best,

Tom
    Hmmm...

As my brother in law would say: "Some folks would tell a lie when the truth would suite".

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

this is very entertaining

I have a 1968 912 that I thought I might want to sell here in CA. The PB was from IL. and a 356 guy. Turns out that he read a post by someone here on this BBS that the door panels are supposed to be "buffalo hyde" on the dash and door panels.......sheeeeeessshhhh ! Thank goodness for fate, I'm glad I was able to drop him and retain this great car.

Moral of the story....I'm still trying to figure out the "buffalo hyde" ???? Huh ?
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    I have a 1968 912 that I thought I might want to sell here in CA. The PB was from IL. and a 356 guy. Turns out that he read a post by someone here on this BBS that the door panels are supposed to be "buffalo hyde" on the dash and door panels.......sheeeeeessshhhh ! Thank goodness for fate, I'm glad I was able to drop him and retain this great car.

Moral of the story....I'm still trying to figure out the "buffalo hyde" ???? Huh ?

Curt, its elephant hyde vinyl found on 68 S's and L's. not on 912's

BTW the L's have the hard to find S trim for the interior on the front and rear door tops, knee pads. its is also the same silver trim used for 67S's.
    this is good info because I thought only the S's had the interior trim.
    I guess the L was our substitute for an S and featured elephant hyde and the trim. good to know, I had been waiting to find these missing pieces from an S .
    I didnt realize this until last week that they were the same on the L and bought a set on Ebay.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I like that "Buffalo Hyde" stuff!

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Dont sell a 356 short! A 356 with a SC/912 and short gears will run with any 911/911T

Having owned just a few 356s (500-600) in the 1970s-1980s if you install a good S90, SC or 912 engine the car becomes a great driver...

If you go one step further and install a short 3rd gear (3A,3E) this really helps with keeping the revs up on the 100hp engines and the 356 will fly...

I learned this trick from the famous 4 Cam mechanic Al Cadrobbi when I kept trying build a stronger engine... He taught me about gearing and I went from coming in second in E Production to winning by 10-15 car lengths... Just by changing my gearing... The BBEA OR BBEB trans is great for Laguna Seca,Big Willow and at Riverside and as a street racer... Both my Speedster and my Twin Grille Roadster have these gears with the LS... A super light flywheel also helps a lot!

For the guys that have never driven a strong 356 rest assured they will run with any early 911/911T and even the 2.0/2.2 E and if setup properly will also out handle most early 911s... My lap times were much better the the 911 guys back in the day..

Look closely and you will notice that my Race Car has an antenna thats because I would listen to the radio while driving my Race Car to the track at Riverside,Willow Springs and Laguna Seca then drive my Race Car back home (with a 1st place trophy). The next morning I would take the straight pipe (Stinger) off and put the muffler on and drive the same 356 to UCLA for class... Those were the days...

BTW! The short gearing trick also works great on early 911s... 901 and 915 short/Airport gears make the 911s a lot faster... I have a very short 3 and 4th in my 1973S...
    Just ask some of the guys with much larger engines that have run against my stock 2.4S Targa with air conditioning
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by EARLY911ZOO View Post
    Curt, its elephant hyde vinyl found on 68 S's and L's. not on 912's

BTW the L's have the hard to find S trim for the interior on the front and rear door tops, knee pads. its is also the same silver trim used for 67S's.
    this is good info because I thought only the S's had the interior trim.
    I guess the L was our substitute for an S and featured elephant hyde and the trim. good to know, I had been waiting to find these missing pieces from an S .
    I didnt realize this until last week that they were the same on the L and bought a set on Ebay.
    So are these panels from a 68 911 normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    So are these panels from a 68 911 normal?
    indeed basketweave, 911 normal and T's as well including 912's
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

4 main bearings

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    There are so few "decent" 356 cars out there that the good ones will always bring the money. A fair car will trade in "fair territory". I buddy of mine sold an SC last year for all he had in it. Break even proposition. It still needed the body done although it wasn't rusty. I think $30K was the number which included the new owner paying off the engine builder. Another $20-$30K budget restoration and it could be shown.

For one, these are very boring cars to drive unless they've had some horsepower injected and the suspension brought up to snuff. If you want to "toodle around" they're fine. IMHO there are better cars to "toodle" in for a lot less money.

The 3 main bearing engine doesn't like much beyond about 150hp so install a Type IV and pickle the original. A Type IV is hard to hurt and can make a lot of horsepower for reasonable money and also have a decent life expectancy.

FWIW; I'd take an Outlaw (especially an Emory) over a stocker all day-any day.

Tom
    The 356 has 4 main bearings
    Mike