Thread: 911 speedster...early

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

911 speedster...early

I need some help remembering where I saw this...I have a book on Porsches that shows a modified 911 coupe (I recall it was a 67 S) that had rolled and a shop had removed the top clip and fashioned a speedster. The picture in the book was from a car show and made no mention of the builders name, or much history on the car. The front of the car was very well done with the front bumper contoured to meet the longhood. There was only one picture of the car from the front. I am toying with ideas for the next project...and couldn't find where in my "picture books" I might have seen this. I googled and ended up with lots of 356 speedster images, and of course the later 911 speedsters.
    Any leads on this would be appreciated
    registry# 1283

There is a pic in the last section of Bruce Anderson's book - the one about customization.

Car also appears in an issue of R&T in the late 60s.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

911 Stan Townes Speedster

After searching for this car for the past 15 years, and nerve racking week of negotiation worthy of a story in "Cobra in the Barn", I purchased the Townes car approximately a year ago from a gentleman in the LA area. The car suffered from neglect not abuse. My intent is to bring it back to it's former glory. It originated as a 67 T, but runs much stronger than any 2 liter T I've ever driven. It arrived with some bs seats, carpets shot, missing 128's. All those issues have been addressed with NOS parts from my "stash". The optional rear storage deck that gravity and god couldn't keep together is being restored. It was reintroduced today at the Parade concours in St Charles Il.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Haig Haleblian
    67 Stan Townes Speedster
    70 911 S Silver/Black Sport Seats S/R
    71 911 S Signal Yellow/Blk Alloy Decks
    57 Barnfind Ruby Red Speedster
    57 Orange/Tan Two Owner Cab 38k miles documented
    58 Stone Grey/Red Coupe/Red

More parts and parts cars than any man needs

Congratulations Haig !!!
    sorry to see it leave Calee-Four-Nigh-A, but glad to see it go to a good home where it will be cherished and shared

all the best
    Dave
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

911 Speedster

It won't be a trailer queen ie handcuffs on this ride. It will be presentable. Tell you this, Stuttgart should have hired Mr Townes. Amazing, beautiful execution, and forsight for its time. hh
    Haig Haleblian
    67 Stan Townes Speedster

911 Stan Townes Speedster

Dave, I'm surprised one of the west coasters didn't jump on this ride when it was for sale.
    Haig Haleblian
    67 Stan Townes Speedster

Congrats Haig, VERY cool find. This car has been one of my favourite Porsches for a long time.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus