Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 speedster...early

911 speedster...early

I need some help remembering where I saw this...I have a book on Porsches that shows a modified 911 coupe (I recall it was a 67 S) that had rolled and a shop had removed the top clip and fashioned a speedster. The picture in the book was from a car show and made no mention of the builders name, or much history on the car. The front of the car was very well done with the front bumper contoured to meet the longhood. There was only one picture of the car from the front. I am toying with ideas for the next project...and couldn't find where in my "picture books" I might have seen this. I googled and ended up with lots of 356 speedster images, and of course the later 911 speedsters.
    Any leads on this would be appreciated
    registry# 1283

There is a pic in the last section of Bruce Anderson's book - the one about customization.

Car also appears in an issue of R&T in the late 60s.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Is it this one?
    Attachment 73946

I think it was in an old R&T magazine.

Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

early speedster

Thats it! With the dark stripe...Anybody know about the car, the shop or the builder? What is the month/year of the R/T article? Point me in a direction.
    Thanks

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Stan Townes Speedster...

I think Chuck Miller knows this car...I think it's "Dynamite" too..../ Lars...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Homebuilt.

Displayed at the Oakland Roadster Show.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

...and it wears cool shoes...TTDs
    registry# 1283

Stan Townes' car - pretty amazing that it is still so inspirational after all this time. There is a couple of good early speedster threads on Pelican.

I think a lot of us have contemplated this type of project, including me.

I now have a factory 964 Speedster - unreal cars.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

a slight bit of info...

There are so many hand formed and special bits that made this car work! I knew Stan lightly in the late 70s when he was quite involved with SCCA racing. Of course, I asked him about the car. There wasn't much stock on it. I traced it to Santa Monica and tried contacting the then owner. No response. It was totalled. [We are talking late 1980s here] Then I saw that it was registered again? All in California. Time has faded many of the details, but this was an exceptionally well executed, and very unique, car.

Anyone know where it actually ended up? I suspect it would have cost a fortune to resurrect if it were terribly bent. I think this might be THE best of the early 911s to a lot of us... me anyway!
    JR

speedster

I think this car needs to be recreated...and maybe built as a mid-engined spyder...hmmm. Lower the rear window "speedster hump". I have a SWB roller in the shop that is asking not to be sold

Thanks for the input everybody...

Speedo
    registry# 1283