Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 speedster...early

One more speedster/spyder...

I have one front quarter photo of a spyder built off a 911 body by a guy "Herr Hagemann". I can't find any reference to it. It looks to be an aluminum bodied 550 or RSK creation. Can somebody help me with more references or pictures? I am on a slippery slope and trying to do some research.

Thanks

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    I have one front quarter photo of a spyder built off a 911 body by a guy "Herr Hagemann". I can't find any reference to it. It looks to be an aluminum bodied 550 or RSK creation. Can somebody help me with more references or pictures? I am on a slippery slope and trying to do some research.

Thanks

Speedo
    Hagemann lives ( could be past tense as in lived, since when I met him a few years ago he was already quite along in years) in Danville Calif. a few miles down the road from where I reside. He is (was) a master metal-fabricator who built bodies for Indy-Racers, during the classic Offenhauser period.

The car you're talking about is what I call an interpretation of a 550, painted red, black interior, and was driven many thousands of miles. I can't remember one local car-show during an about 15 year period that Hagemann didn't bring it to show. Very unassuming, but a deeply knowledgable gent.

I'll try to get some more pics and info.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I thought this was a long shot....

Thanks John! With the advent of the internet...you figure you can "Google" anything...but I was drawing a blank on this one.
    Thanks for stepping up.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

The car was owned at one time by a Carmel restaurateur in the early 70's. I don't remember the owners name. These photos were taken a San Francisco Concours in 71 or 72. It was a very cool looking car.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You are probably aware of it, but there has been an article in 911 & Porsche World years ago about a different early 911 Speedster. Seemed like a very nice car indeed, although slightly different than the one mentioned here.

John

This speedster lives! At least it was when i saw it driving down a couple times on ventura bl in the San Fernando Valley, about 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately both times i was late for an appt, so could not do a u turn and chase it down. Appeared to be in good condition with patina of time.

another one that is special the the Bertone designed/ built swb 911 convertible. It looks like a big fiat 850 spider (doh! of course, since bertone used this design for the lil spider when that decision was made to go ahead)

That burgundy Italo /Allemano marriage was in california many years ago, but have not seen it since

Any body here know?
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

The car was also discussed on Pelican. Try a search on Stan Townes

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ht=stan+townes
    Michael Christensen
    911 E, 1969, Tangerine, matching #s
    911 Carrera 3,0, 1977 Indisch Rot​, matching #s
    Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, 1967, Alfa Rosso 501, matching #s
    Ariel Red Hunter, 1952, Maroon

A friend of mine recently acquired this car but swore me to secrecy on where it is. I was telling him about my 912 Roadster build and he one-uped me.

It is a very cool car. Here are some pics of the prototype of my project roadster.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

speedsters

As we already have a few pictures of the Townes car...it would be nice to get a few of Hagemanns version. Dave B...got any leads on the Bertone SWB 911?

Where I am going with this? And why all the requests for info on prior personal open top projects? Not to hurt the feelings of any devout speedster owners, but I strongly dislike the last 1/2 of the car. The base of the rear window (which is a triangulated cross-sectional area formed by the rear shelf, the outer skin and the vertical member) is too high for me. A hump is created. The reason it is shaped that way is to accomodate the height of the induction on the engines be they, Carbs,MFI or CIS. You can lower the induction some...but not enough. You can lower the engine, but not enough. When I look at the side view of today's speedster, the shape looks "right" up to the B pillar...then as it starts to rise and you reach the top of the hump...it looks wrong to me. To make matters worse, Porsche designed a tonneau cover to smooth the lines to the seatbacks. Pardon me...but it makes a bad visual even worse. I envision a line from the door top that extends back towards the rear of the car and gently slopes down like the RSK or 550.
    To do this, the hump or need for the hump needs to be removed. The way in my mind to do this would be to create a spyder...swap the engine and trannie. Putting the engine behind the rear seats moves the polar into a better position...better weight distribution. Like a boxster, but without the water issue. I know this spyder format has be used a few times in coupes (racecars), but I haven't seen it in an open top car...much less a longhood. There ...cat is out of the bag. Basically I will need to start with a dry car, and remove everything between the longitudinals from where the floor terminates at the rear seats...all the way back to the rear crossmember between the tailighthousings. And the wheel arch will need to move back 3-6 inches. Then the rear suspension will need to be re-engineered...no more torsion bars or control arms. I don't intimidate easily and although most on this board don't know my work, I think this is very do-able. I still have a bugs to work out as well as a few more parts to assemble...anybody got a lead on a cheap 993 rear suspension setup?

Bring on the pictures....

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Unobtanium - I hope your friend shows the Stan Townes' car, as a lot of folk would love to see it again.

Speedo - If you're ever in Sydney you can take my factory 964 Speedster for a spin to see if it changes your mind on the ugly factor. Here are some other early speedster pics I have collected, both 912 based to avoid the induction problem you mentioned.

I think I may also have some pics of the red Spyder-ish one at home in a book.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus