Thread: Vic Elford's Rolex Daytona

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

Vic Elford's Rolex Daytona

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone on the board who loves automobilia, Rolex watches and Porsche history.

Vic Elford is offering for sale the Rolex Daytona he was given for winning the 1968 24 Hours of Daytona. Any questions about the watch will be answered by Vic himself. http://www.vicelford.com/

I'm not involved in the sale in any way. I simply told Vic I'd pass the information on to the guys on the the registry. He has expressed his desire that the watch go to someone who will love it as much as he did.

Cheers,
    Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vic-Elfords-ROLE...item518d41c838

Here is Vic wearing the watch after winning the 1000 Km of Nurburgring. 1971.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Looking at that ad, I could only feel sadness that there is no one in Vic's life he can give such a valuable family heirloom. I guess we all have a personal value on memories (and $54,000 is nothing to sneeze at) but I have no idea how he could part with that specific watch.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

Vic Elford's Rolex Daytona

In 1968 the Rolex Daytona retailed for approximately $175. It was offered with a standard dial, or an optional "Exotic" dial, both were available in different color configurations. The Exotic dial was later dubbed the "Paul Newman" dial, because Mr. Newman wore one.

In the late '80s the last of the manual wind Daytonas retailed for around $1,000 (roughly twice the price of the least expensive Rolex at the time). In the early '90s the Paul Newman dialed Daytonas could be found for sale in the collectible market for prices in the four figures; then in the late '90s the five figures, and in the 2000s the values climbed close to (and even up into) the six figures.

The normal dialed Daytonas, like Vic Elford's, also enjoyed a healthy price appreciation, though nothing as stratospheric as the Paul Newman dialed watches. (Think Carrera RS and 2.4S.)

One thing to consider is that some owners, who bought long before the price boom, now find these watches simply too valuable to wear. I was lucky enough to buy one before the madness began. I wear it every day.
    Many people think I'm crazy.
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chaser View Post
    I was lucky enough to buy one before the madness began. I wear it every day. Many people think I'm crazy.
    Well done. Life is for living.

I remember reading a thread years ago about a guy who was worried about removing a radio delete plate from the plastic wrapper. Afraid of installing it in his car. Felt it was best to keep the plate in it's wrapper on his desk.

Wear your watch. You're crazy like a fox.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

If you do not have an early S, you can buy a nice one for the price of this watch. I would go with the car.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I can't decide which is sadder, selling the watch or the truly terrible eBay ad. $55K and one poor photo of the actual item?

It appears there were no bids before the auction ended?

H