Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is It Original? Are You Sure?

elephant hide

I think a 68 L or S with elephant hide & ivory knobs would be most original!

1968 Drivers/Owners Manual photos

In the 1968 Drivers Manual are photos of the cars with the Elephant hide dash and door panels (it was because of these photos that I found out the book was wrong for my 1967 car and sold/traded it. So I can't post the photos here). (I've paid attention to the publishing dates from that point on).

The offering from the factory being narrowed to just "one item" can be chalked up to editing in a number of reports from the time. The writers wrote long stories and the editors cut them down to the essentials for publication. Or, to highlight only the NEW options.

Case in point: 1965 911's "carpet floors" or "rubber mats". In review of the Brooklands period car reviews and other 1964 car reports, I recall it was stated that the new 1964 (1965 model) cars came with rubber mats in one publication, while in another publication the same text was given as "carpet with rubber mats" (the rubber pads were sewn to carpet over the tunnel and the heal pad for the driver). One editor shortened the story and guess which one got picked up and rebroadcast in the USA publications....yup...the introduction of the new 911 model cars came with rubber mats... (except cars #149 and 027 and 032 and all the other 1964 cars I've seen).

And what is the text for the carpet restorers ads from the 1970's and 1980's?...yup "rubber, or non standard carpet" at extra cost. Period authors have included that in most of the books since then...it has been perpetuated so it must be true...(nope).

Another item is the horn buttons, "hockey puck" or "winged". Depending on publication photos - it looks like only one was standard, nope, both were offered (both part numbers are in the very earliest part book). Owners no cost option - if the driver was a pound on the center button or the finesse of a thumb squeeze. When Dr. Brett Johnson was researching his authenticity book he was surprised to find a winged horn button on a 1964 car, (thinking it was a later item).

New car intro photos: I just love the story of the one demo car that came back to the factory every few weeks for a color change and then onto the next group of countries for press and new customer introduction. It was the same car in most of the period publications. Different color - Same options.

(sorry. I'll turn over the soap box now to...next.)
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

John A,

...here ya go ... !
    Some scanned pics from Brian Longs books - part 1 = '63 to '71 pages 96 and 97.
    Both the L and the S have the basketweave dash.
    Both are home market cars with QI headlights as well.
    Long says that either B/W or E/H was used depending on availability.
    Note the standard instruments on the L.
    Being press pictures,can I assume these are early '68 MY ?

HTH,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by jaudette3 View Post
    I used to be 100% sure that all 911L's produced for the U.S. had elephant hide interiors.
    I'm working on a '68 911L Soft Window Targa at the moment. There are no signs of elephant hide on the car and I would swear in court that the basket-weave facing on the dash is original.
    JohnA
    1968MY 912/911:
    Seat inlay: "basket weave grained leatherette"
    or
    Optional leather seats: "seat inlay basket weave grained"

1968MY 911L:
    Seat inlay: " "ST"-grained leathearette
    or
    Optional leather seats: "seat inlay "ST" grained".

Source: color chart W25, printed 8/67.

I now believe the factory never used a description of elephant hide in its 1968 documents but always named it "basket weave".
    In 1968 the material change from commonly named elephant hide to basket weave as we know it for 911L/911S RoW was factory named "ST" grained".
    For 1969 this material re-named as "basket weave" and have been continued on 2.2l cars.

1966, 1967 and 1969 factory color charts confirm this observation as they list ONLY "basket weave" for either leather or leatherette/vinyl seat and/or seat inlays but the 1968 color chart list either "basket weave" aka elephant hide but also "ST" grained" for its 911L/911S RoW.
    Registry member No.773