Thread: Update on 3.6 SC and 67 Normal Wedding

Update on 3.6 SC and 67 Normal Wedding

12 days into it since delivering the SC to Franz Blam Racing. A lot of progress so far. The entire front suspension from the SC including steering and brakes has been fitted and mounted in the 67. A mock up of the 3.6 block and 915 were fitted in the 67 to check for clearances and fit. Oil lines to the right front fender have been installed along with the SC oil tank. Electrical work has begun including installation of the 12 mini-coils or whatever they are called for the crank fired twin plug set-up. All of the instruments from the SC will be moved to the 67N. Currently waiting on Pelican for beefed up rear suspension parts. Received adjustable spring plates and new wheel bearings today, waiting on 26mm rear torsion bars, 19mm sway bar, Wevo mounts, rear Koni's and a couple of seals before mounting the 3.6 and 915. The trailing arms from the 67 have been bead blasted, reinforced and powder coated. The half shaft lengths will need to be measured once the suspension and engine are in and then fabricated. Another completed item is the 915 shifter,tube and coupler. Had some problems with the wheels. Had them blasted with walnut shells to knock the paint off but could not polish them because they were anodized but then a friend, John Holt, knew a guy who has some magic elixir that removed the anodizing and a little elbow grease later with Mother's aluminum polish and a power ball brought out a decent shine. Had new Goodyear Eagle GT 195/65/VR15's mounted Saturday. Sorry for the sh***y pics, been using my Iphone but it's coming along and I'm getting really excited. Note Thomas Blam in one of the pics. Same Thomas from Flying Lizard as in the new Panorama. Check the “For Sale” listings in the next few days, will be selling a lot of unneeded parts to make garage space and help fund my insanity. Future plans include Dynamat's covered with a RS Carpet set and Monte Carlo Sport Seats on order from Pelican, a tall OE type Roll Bar from TRE and then corner balanced, lowered and a little dyno tune.
    prior thread here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=27281
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

It looks to be a very fun project. Make sure there's no rust in the pan or the motor may twist the car in two.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    It looks to be a very fun project. Make sure there's no rust in the pan or the motor may twist the car in two.
    Franz knows what he is doing in regards to being sure the body structure and suspension pieces prove durable with the engine. He has been working on Porsche race cars for ~40 years.

Now the driver of the car may be a problem.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Thanks for your confidence in my driving skills Doc. You have had a lot of experience in observing me from the back. Just think,, in another month or less I'll be so far ahead of you that you will think that your running in the lead.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"

67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    Just think,, in another month or less I'll be so far ahead of you that you will think that your running in the lead.
    Yea, yea, there is nothing easier to drive than a 2000 pound car with 325 Hp and small tires. Just don't forget to not suddenly withdraw throttle when the rear end gets a little lose.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Damn - it is amazing how these little cars hold up under stress.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Franz (Blam) built a car for a friend in the late 70's, early 80's. It had a high butterfly injection 2.8 twin plug engine. Looked like an ST and ran like a scalded dog. I wish I knew where it went.
    Jashford was the last person I saw drive it in anger. He whipped up on a guy who came to one of the VMSC autocross events held at "Strawberry Hill" (RIR Raceway parking lot).
    His 240Z was wicked fast and he passed tech with a bean bag chair for a passenger seat. No kidding. Subsequently I believe this gentleman traveled to Germany where he went to work for Porsche reading rule books.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I wish I knew where it went. Jashford was the last person I saw drive it in anger.
    Bill can ask him. Franz has many stories of the old days as well as today's racing Porsche (The Flying Lizard Team).

Posted an update on Pelican today. Following is a link. Tom I keep forgetting to ask Franz about the 2.8 car from the 70's. I'll try to remember later this week when I visit him again. This one is really coming along nicely.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-wedding.html

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"

67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    Posted an update on Pelican today. Following is a link. Tom I keep forgetting to ask Franz about the 2.8 car from the 70's.
    Bill
    Steve Volk would have been the owner.

Thanks,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111