Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Perfection. . .from the workshop of Series900, New Hampshire

And John, when all is said and done,,,,,isn't that what they're for!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi John -

Reading about your project for the first time...

You can guess just how much I am amazed with yer 66. And inspired by the process and the interaction along the way. This forum keeps taking on new dimensions. Your reporting detail and the to-do lists are greatly appreciated documents for posterity. The photo above is really nice... glasurit in the rain. Subscribed to all three threads

Regards -

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    And John, when all is said and done,,,,,isn't that what they're for!
    You know it Ed. It is a beautiful machine when it is sitting still, but that is not what machines are for.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by friggens View Post
    Hi John -

Reading about your project for the first time...

You can guess just how much I am amazed with yer 66. And inspired by the process and the interaction along the way. This forum keeps taking on new dimensions. Your reporting detail and the to-do lists are greatly appreciated documents for posterity. The photo above is really nice... glasurit in the rain. Subscribed to all three threads

Regards -
    Thanks Mike. A lot of people along the way have taken the time to teach me so I try to pass it on when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post

There ya go

I remember seeing the thread where your car on the rotisserie --- but then I kinda lost track of it . . .

Beautiful results
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-25-2018 at 08:10 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Any üpdates? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

We Can Be Heroes

Update?

Well surely you saw the Jay Peak news from 2016 here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Driving-There

and here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...779#post877779

Following Jay Peak it was time for a rest.

The standard of competition has really gone to the next level. With the global escalation in the values of our old cars, it now makes sense to spend beaucoup dollars to restore loosely connected Fe2O3 molecules to concours status. Trust me, I've been judging these cars. . . they have gotten really nice. Which is great for our shared passion and enthusiasm.

Along the way a R107 450SL drifted ashore, as did a completely original 1989, 110,000 mile 944 Turbo, which showed in Preservation class at Boca. Each had its own merits: the 107's sheer mass, urged forward by a barely stressed V-8, a car for cool summer nights at the beach, thinly veiling a vacuum system complex like the Space Shuttle. The 951, a survivor, never punk-owned, a go-kart with a violent K26/8 plus real air conditioning.

But somewhere underneath KJ's immaculate RS at Boca (I was looking at the car, not hiding from the sun, or taking a nap, really) I felt "that Old Feeling" as Chet Baker would say.

So at the next opportunity, the doors of the Fortified Barn were opened and the bags unzipped. Apart from a large puddle from the still-leaking flywheel seal (now on it's Fourth iteration!) and a substantial mouse nest in the engine sound pad (the little devils had managed to get inside the CarBag and bring with them half a roll of blue shop towels chewed into 5/8" pieces), everything was OK. Oil pressure in 20 seconds and a steady, low idle after a few minutes.

But as I have written here before, our cars demand attention. And so the brake pedal went to the floor.

Off came the 4-1/2s and out came the brake bleeder. Do you think the fluid needed a change? There is no such thing as ATE Brown.

I bled the fronts and was rewarded with a pedal worthy of Le Mans. Then I bled the rears and it was back to the floor again. Bled the fronts again, same issue.

Maybe a new Master Cylinder is in order but I'll try bleeding all four again.

Modern cars don't have these problems.

Modern cars are boring.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ed,,,,,, you gave me a COMPLEX about the wiper position! A little research and I am feeling better about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John, judging by several period photos there seem to have been a couple iterations. It was a 100 here yesterday for my return, but I'll take the 25% humidity over the 60% at Boca! Good to see you again.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.