Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of a talbot on the door

Location of a talbot on the door

I wonder if there are board members w/ original cars who have a Talbot mirror from day one. I would like to know the exact location for mounting.

Thanks in advance

Richard

67S w Talbot

I think they go in exactly the same spot as the Durant.

The Senior was available as a dealer installed factory option on SWB, code 9132, part number 644.731.111.02.

The Senior mounts with a sturdy u bolt from underneath the door skin.

The Junior surface mounts with two sheet metal screws.

The silver car with Junior in the image was owned by a well known dealer in Monterey.

300 Senior Polo
    300 Senior Bahama
    300 Junior Silver
    300 Senior; note u bolt beneath pedestal
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Thanks Flunder

I need to drill the holes and the stud spaces for the Talbot are smaller than for the Durant.

If you have more pictures of Seniors on the drivers door, please post them.

Richard

Talbot Mounting Location: Door

Richard:

Here are two scans from The 911 & 912 PORSCHE by Dr. B. Johnson.

The driver side location in this image gives a good idea of where to mount a Senior.

I am going to use a Senior on a hot rod but we have not reached that stage yet and I don't have a pic from inside the door frame.

Also attached is an image from Dr. B's book for those contemplating mounting a Talbot Senior on the passenger side as well.

Color image shows Polo installation from a different vantage point.

Note that the Werksfoto of the 9132 option code shows a fender mount location.
    Early 911S Registry

When I built my car, one of the non-negotiable elements was going to be two Talbot mirrors, one on each side. My insistence on getting it right drove the poor fellow at Aardvark Inc. ( the Company who bought the name and the design to the original Talbot Mirrors & who presently sell and service them) nuts with a million questions and inquiries about this and that and finally bought a pair of Senior, spun Aluminum Talbots from him. Thought that look would really complement Ruprecht's persona. Didn't take but a short drive to realize that Talbots in the "stock" location simply don't let you see enough of where you've been to be usable in traffic; they just are not large enough to give you a complete, safe view of the rear, especially the passenger side. I sat in a car that had twin Durants mounted on the front fenders, but I found that location incompatible with the look I wanted for my car. (See photo, please.....that's the ex-Bruce Jennings car which I shot at Rennsport III with the owner's permission).

If you still think you must do this here's what I learned from my experiences with Talbots:

The driver's side mounts in exactly the same location as the Durant. If you are planning to use a passenger side mirror as well, DO NOT attempt to mount the passenger side unit in the same spot on the opposite door, ( i.e. mirror image location, no pun intended). If you do, I guarantee you wont see a bloody thing no matter how far you crane your neck. What I did was to move the car outside, onto level ground, (in the middle of my Cul-de-Sac) in this case. I had covered the entire general area of the door where I expected the mirror to reside, a rectangle of about 6" by about 10", with blue masking tape, and while seated behind the steering wheel had my wife slowly and carefully move the mirror backwards and forward and up and down until I had the best view of the rear. [U]That view only exists when the mirror is mounted in a location slightly further to the rear and closer to the top door trim than the driver's side. It will not be symmetrical when viewed from the front or the side. When done correctly you will be looking through the triangular vent window. I then had my wife outline the foot of the mirror with a black magic marker on the blue tape. That would give me the location of the holes I needed to drill.

You should not have to do that on the drivers side since you already have the holes from the original Durant, Use those.[U]Be aware that Aardvark sells three types of mounting hardware. The following is a direct excerpt from their site:
    300 - U-bolt mount. Very secure mounting system. Needs access from backside of mirror to insert U-bolt.
    301 - Surface mount with large cover plate to hide existing holes in body. Can be converted into a Model 300 by removal of cover plate.
    303 - Surface mount. Uses 2 coined end bolts which are mounted to the body with sheet metal screws. No access to rear of mirror is required. Excellent for mounting in areas where rear access is limited, ie; bulkheads, seams, double panels.

I believe you'll find yourself unable to use the #300 method since you'll have to modify your door. I found the last alternative, the #303 mounting to be the best method . If you are doing driver's side only, you wont need the sheet metal screws. I don't care for sheet metal screws and avoid them whenever possible, therefore I used “Nutserts” on the passenger side, but they'll work just as well on the driver's side. See my attached sketch, as well as a photo of my car when it wore the Talbots.

For what it's worth, Aardvark's link: http://www.talbotco.com/

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

300 Method

I believe you'll find yourself unable to use the #300 method since you'll have to modify your door.

JZG:

Great info.

As you considered all the alternatives, perhaps you would comment on how the driver side door would need to be modified to use the 300 method?

Thanks
    Early 911S Registry

I mounted a drivers side one in the already there holes. It was totally useless to see, but then at 6'3" have the seat all the way back. I have seen several Talbots mounted on the front fenders including the totally orginal 20,00 mile Taj 67S in Dayton. I think from a practical standpoint they should be fender mounted and they look pretty cool up there.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    I think from a practical standpoint they should be fender mounted and they look pretty cool up there.
    I agree with you Bill...they just don't do much good when they are close to you...I have tried it on a early car....I think to most folks seem to like the look of side mirrors close to the side window though...early Japanese sports cars had them on the fenders...
    These mirrors were used a lot on open wheel formula cars of the period and were placed away from the driver to get a larger field of view...
    I had a 66' that was delivered as noted on the COA with two talbots....in some of the documentation I found it read that they were delivered in a box along with the car to be installed by the owner....

Quote Originally Posted by jhora View Post
    I think to most folks seem to like the look of side mirrors close to the side window though...early Japanese sports cars had them on the fenders...
    After WW II the Japanese vehicle code mandated two rear view mirrors on all passenger cars......mounted on the front fenders approx. back 27" from the headlights.

You ask how to modify the door. Difficult to verbalize without pictorial aid, so I drew another sketch. Upper portion of my sketch indicates a schematic cross section of the door with the U-bolt installed. The lower part of the sketch shows the metal "bridge" of metal between the existing mounting holes you would have to remove in order to install this "U-Bolt". As you can see it would be difficult to accomplish without permanently disfiguring the door......really not necessary when perfectly acceptable & workable alternatives are available, i.e. the coined bolts shown in my previous post. Hope this clears it up somewhat.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Talbot 300 Sr - Door Mount

JZG:

Thank you for going to the trouble of making the drawing and providing a clear explanation of what the door mount alternative entails.

Much appreciated!

I will post a pic after we give it a try.

Thanks again,
    Early 911S Registry