Thread: Build # vs VIN # 70S

Build # vs VIN # 70S

Paul, that car is a RHD 2.2S which started life in a poor state, we fully restored the car to it's original condition. It amazing yours is a close vin, but vin numbers and build numbers are different things. For example I also own another RHD 2.2S with the vin ending 1242, which has the build number one before the afore(1252) mentioned S. They left the production line one after the other

Alan UK

How do you determine the build number of your car? The two cars Alan references above were back to back. My car 1249 was a left hand drive but also left the factory in silver metallic with a black interior and tinted glass but standard seats with the hydro suspension.

Did they build RHD and LHD cars together in batches?

Since the cars have similar colors and options and all three being an S did they batch color, options, etc together?

I have ordered a back issue of Dec 911&porsche World which may answer some of my questions.

I still think it is cool to see my cars close relatives being treated to full restos!

Paul

The build # is the number stamped into the dash under the knee pad and below the radio openning. It is of the form 100xxxx for 1970. This is a bodyshop # and is independant of the model type. It would be very interesting to see the sequence of build # vs VIN # particularly since the RHD and LHD models are different body 'types'. They coded the coupe and targa differently, but not LHD / RHD as far as I know.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Since it's a slow day and I'm working from home I removed the knee pad, my build number is 1003215.

Alan how does that compare to 1242 and 1252?

Hi,
    For your info ; I have a 70S ; VIN #1436 and chassis 1003880

Regards
    JD
    Last edited by RS-GT; 11-16-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Hi, the build numbers for these 2 RHD 2.2S are 1003258 and 1003259

The build numbers are stamped as Dave says but also chalk written under the dash. In some cases you will also find the painters signature. I have seen this on several cars and also identified the chap who painted it from Porsche factory footage

Here is the dash build number from one

and the stamp of the other (both before resto)

Alan

PS some of the resto of 3259 can be seen here http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=31848

Multiple references . . .

VIN = 9110301436
    VIN = 9110301242
    VIN = 9110301252

We Can Be Heroes