Thread: Production numbers by color?

Production numbers by color?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if a resource exists that breaks down the number of cars produced by color?

I have a 1970T Targa in burgundy and I was just curious how popular this color was on this car. The Porsche Red Book shows me that there were a little over 2,500 1970 Targas built, but I can't find how many were burgundy. I know Milou has one but I am sure there were more than two!

Burgundy was a standard color, but did Porsche paint 10% of the cars that color, 20% or what? Thanks all!

Joe

If it does Porsche is not disclosing (at least according to Porsche Archives Dept.)v If you find something pls. let us all know.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Hi Joe,
    i was wondering about this same question approx. 6 years ago. The factory didn't keep very good records on these types of things. The only thing I ever read from the factory which mentioned color distribution was in a 1967 Christo magazine which mentioned that the most popular color for the 1966 production year was light ivory followed by polo red. The rest of the colors such as aga blue, irish green, etc. were down in the single digits.

Quote Originally Posted by targajoe View Post
    Burgundy was a standard color, but did Porsche paint 10% of the cars that color, 20% or what? Thanks all!
    Joe
    According to factory, in 1970, 6.07% of 12'126 cars (77% of production which had standard colors) produced from August 1969 to June 1970 production have been Burgundy color.
    Re the production number the factory combined 911 and 914 colors since most have been used for both model lines.
    see:
    Richard von Frankenberg, The color game, Christo 89/1970, page 64

1970 standard colors, choices in %

1970 special colors, choices in %

Registry member No.773

Thanks all for the replies. I guess getting the exact number is tougher than I hoped.

Karim, thanks so much for the scans.

I'll check out some of the leads you folks gave me, and if I find out anything more I will let you all know. Thanks.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by targajoe View Post
    I guess getting the exact number is tougher than I hoped.
    Joe
    If the 1970 color choice percentage for 911, 914, T, E, S and targa/coupe was more or less identical, about 154 have been ordered as 1970 911T Targa in Burgundy color.
    Registry member No.773