Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Air Vent Grill Spacer 901.559.491.20

Fresh Air Vent Grill Spacer 901.559.491.20

I am looking to find a reference photo showing the installation/relative size of this spacer. From what I can tell it looks like this should sit in the recessed area of the sheet metal (about 12mm x 30mm).

Number seven in the diagram below.

Thank you for any direction on this,

-Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I had a look at mine just to find out they were not removed before painting ...shame on me
    You can make them from soft rubber or thick vinyl or even leather, thickness ~2mm

Bengt
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Quote Originally Posted by gtBen View Post

I had a look at mine just to find out they were not removed before painting ...shame on me
    You can make them from soft rubber or thick vinyl or even leather, thickness ~2mm

Bengt
    Bengt,

Thanks so much for the response and photos. I now see from your photos that these spacers are not the full height of the recess and only about 20mm tall. I have some very soft foam from another project which I will cut these out of.

Thanks again,

-Andrew
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Never noticed this spacer before. Thanks, guys... now I have 20 or 30 grilles to remove this weekend!

Sorry for that JP ; My next item in this area is to nail down is the black fabric tape that covers the body colored sheet metal which would otherwise be visible through the fresh air vent opening. I picked up some Tesa 51036 tape to tackle this soon.

Here is a Pelican thread where this is loosely referenced.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post
    Sorry for that JP ; My next item in this area is to nail down is the black fabric tape that covers the body colored sheet metal which would otherwise be visible through the fresh air vent opening. I picked up some Tesa 51036 tape to tackle this soon.

Here is a Pelican thread where this is loosely referenced.
    Now that I've done. I used a black fabric, hockey stick style tape that I cut into narrow strips and carefully applied along the edges of the screen. It worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Now that I've done. I used a black fabric, hockey stick style tape that I cut into narrow strips and carefully applied along the edges of the screen. It worked out well.
    Ah good to hear; I did not want you to be stuck removing the 80 or so screws twice.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Thumbs up

I'm go'n to look what's under mine …
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Lightbulb

OK,

Had a look (needed to respray the grill frame anyway)

I have no doubt that these are original to my late '73...

The two in the middle had the 'spacers', the two on the ends had no sign of ever having one... as you can see, the ones on the end rest on a flat, not an indent like the two in the middle....

The spacers are still 'dentable' with my fingernail...

If I had to guess on the material I would say tool bag or upholstery vinyl... just a guess...

Cheers,
    cm
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Looks like the air intake area on Chuck's '73 is painted black rather than the cloth or fabric tape that others have mentioned. Can I assume that later cars had black paint and the fabric is correct for early cars?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic