Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $61,000 2002 996 gt2

$61,000 2002 996 gt2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item439d039f2f

How does this stack up to a $50,000 996 GT3?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

80K start listed with 95K buy it now.

Must have changed since your posting...

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuiz View Post
    80K start listed with 95K buy it now.

Must have changed since your posting...
    Fixed it; I had the wrong ad.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Wow! It's marked sold with a buy-it-now of $60,990. I'd say well bought. That car sure got around tho. The free history report shows it starting in the Bay Area, then on to Alaska, then back to the Bay Area then to Florida and now it sells in Illinois.

'2 vs '3

Despite their similar names --- seem like very different cars.

To read the specifications, GT2 is effectively a Turbo minus the front differential and back seats, taking weight down to ~3100 lbs. Power is quoted at 460-475 hp, depending on the year, but I'm sure there's software out there that'll take that higher. (Like WAY . . . ) Car also gets different wheels and body kit, as well as PCCBs. Top speed is quoted at a 196 MPH.

Because of the removal of the front dif and half-shafts, together with all the inter-coolers, plumbing and assorted paraphernalia hanging out the back, there's a bit more rear weight bias, not to mention some loss of traction at the front. So, when you factor in the punch of the turbo 3.6, these cars sound like they'd be somewhat entertaining/challenging/terrifying to drive fast. Also kinda expensive/exclusive when new --- +$200k?. Consequently pretty rare, with only a few hundred units built each year.

GT3 is somewhat different. Body is based on the Carrera 4 body-shell --- stronger, but also heavier. (Cuts into fuel capacity, too.) Then, there are some additional welded-in chassis re-enforcements. Then, stuff gets left out: sunroof, back seats, sound deadening. Engine is unique, based on the GT1 block, which comes from the last of the air-cooled Turbo cars (even has a 930 part number?). Lots of attention paid to the reciprocating assembly, like light-weight valves, and the famous titanium con-rods, among other things. 380 HP. Transmission is unique, as are the suspension bits, and unique pressure-cast wheels. Car has a special body-kit with rear wing and front splitter that are supposed to balance out the aerodynamics front-to-back. PCCBs optional. Vehicle weight ~3000 lbs. Top speed is 192.

I've not driven a GT2 . . . only the GT3. (Love that car.)

On paper, the '2 would seem to be the more desirable car: more power (+100 HP min), much more exclusive. I think that the problem with GT2s is that they're so expensive and rare that they haven't circulated enough, yet --- at least not to my level of the food-chain --- so car people don't know much about them.

GT3s, on the other hand, dropped down into the 'affordable' range about a year ago, so even strokes like me can bum a ride. (The GT3 is an absolute blast!) Plus, GT3's 've been out on race tracks for DE and club events, pretty much since Day-One, so a lot more people have seen (and heard!) them.

As for choosing between the two, I don't know . . . personally, the '2 always sounded like a 'miss' to me . . . power, specification, and exclusivity --- but it's not exactly something touted as a driver's car. Kinda like 959 lite. On the other hand, the '3 always sounded like just the kind of factory hot-rod that Porsche does best: special motor, special trans, beefed-up body, all ready to race, race, race. And the '3 also has had a lot of Porsche's engineers spending a lot of time developing, refining; there've been three street versions, so far --- and all of them go racing. Like, a lot. The GT2 doesn't, or even get that kind of attention . . . not even from Porsche. Kinda sad, huh?

Plus, for that price, it seems like the GT2 was always pitched at people who, well, had lots of money, but didn't drive much (so didn't care). And as it turns out, most GT2s have stupid low miles on 'em. Makes me wonder why.

As for living with one, I talked with a local Porsche Service Manager about maintenance; GT3 service is roughly the same as for a Turbo. What it is for the GT2, I don't know. (With half the difs of the Turbo, should be comparable, no?)

Anyway, nowaday's, with both cars are coming into range financially, I don't know . . . might be good time to do some comparison driving!

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

GT2, too much car... "hair" chest type stuff, hard to manage, burn rubber when the turbo kicks in while in a corner doesn't sound like much fun to me...
    Still it appears to be a lot of car for the money... then again, add another $10,000 and get into a 997 GT3 w/ aluminum lid and door panels...40% stiffer than a 996 GT3...

just my .02 from a friend who "schooled" me....

e

e,
    Sounds like your been talkin to that Smith guy, run away run away!
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    e,
    Sounds like your been talkin to that Smith guy, run away run away!
    Phil
    HA!!

I was thinking the same thing, Phil.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I had a 996 GT2 for about a year. I don't know how to explain this but i'll try. It didn't feel like a Porsche when you drove it. The steering felt light, too light and on the freeway it never tracked straight. Moved around a lot and I was always correcting. Kinda scary for a car with so much horsepower in 03.
    I now have a 08 TT cab. What a difference. The best driving Porsche i've owned.
    Jim
    Early 911S Registry member#775

I am not sure this helps anyone, but I know where there is a VERY clean 2004 GT3 is with Motons and a spare set of BBS monoblock wheels. These are the details as I know them:

Porsche motorsport Stanless roll cage
    New Schroth Belts
    Moton suspension
    ECU reflash

Very low 12,100 miles

Tracked twice.

If someone has interest, Pm me here, and I can put you in touch with the owner.

Erik