Thread: Fiberglass bra?

Fiberglass bra?

I track my car from time to time. While not perfect, it's in nice cosmetic shape and so I fairly religiously tape the front hood etc before track days. This is a PITA. A bra is the obvious answer but they are so ugly I refuse to use them.
    So I'm working on an alternative to cover two of the trickier areas. The first pic is the almost finished cover in primer. With luck I should be able to come close to matching the paint and thus keep these fiberglass add-ons relatively unobtrusive. The plan is to tape them in place. The second pic shows the cover with its first layer of fiberglass over saran wrap (which worked ok but duct tape, which I used for the second mold, worked better.) On my car, headlight covers and a big sheet of magnetic plastic (carrying my number) cover everything that's left. Well, almost everything; I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to protect the bumper.
    Anybody else fooled with something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Gburner
    Nice, how do you protect the head light lens?
    cya at buttonwillow.

My headlight protection is even lower budget: plastic floor tile cut to fit and held in place with plastic tape! You doing BW?
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

How about clear adhesive products like "stongard" ?

'71 911S Targa
    '37 Singer 9 sports
    '78 Suzuki GS750
    http://www.club911.net/portal.php member n°517

Yes, good solution if you have nice weathered original paint. On my last car this transferred a bit of paint when I removed it...not nice. I think it happened because it was a repaint.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

I like the idea but what is on the backside to prevent scratching the paint? I have made molds and parts for a lot of things and I have found that there is no room for felt or such unless you plan in advance for it.

Your temp pieces can be made super thin and light with the right materials. Mat is not my first choice. Too resin rich.

Zeke you're way too sophisticated for me... as should be obvious from the quality of my work. I'm guessing a few squares of duct tape would get the guards far enough from the paint to prevent scratching but hadn't actually gotten that far. Anyway, now that you've brought it up, that's going to be my plan. If you can figure out how to attach these, let me know.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara