Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 911 oil tank and filler

1972 911 oil tank and filler

OK boys and girls,

Do you think the 1972 911 with its special oil tank location and the "very special" location to fill the oil (left rear fender) VS the gas filler (left front fender) and all the problems that occured trying to fill the oil tank with gas, has a bigger collector value today because it's only one year of production. Should the problem of almost 40 years ago haunt the sale of the "lemon" as we saw it in the day?

I remember the problem well because I had a shop that had to sort out gas in the oil problems. Today Im thinking its kinda a "Novelty", kinda like a 911R....kinda cool....

I just posted this 72' oil thing because of seeing the Raj-Miester's 911R oil cap...........its a great looking cap but it even has the word "OIL" dymo labled twice on it (don't wanna put gas in that hole during a race)!!

Worth more or who cares?

Kevin

I have to agree, '72 is my favorite year.

All models in the US had MFI. I do not think the '73's had any advances so we could call the '72 the best of the longhoods.

They did move the oil tank back to the same location with the 964, so the factory knew that they had it right.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

My favorite too! According to a factory publication at the time, moving the oil tank in front of the rear wheel moved the center of gravity 6 inches forward. Now that is a big change for a rear biased car design. It was a good engineering design, but unfortunately it was moved back behind the rear wheel until the introduction in 89 of the 964. Maybe Porsche could have won a few more races in the 70s with the 911 and its RSR iterations had they stayed with the design, who knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

My favorite year as well. Piech at his best.

Add a bigger displacement motor with MFI for all models in the US, provide a tougher transmission to handle the increased torque, move 15 pounds of oil in front of the rear wheel, tweak the struts for better geometry, ditch the hydro-pneumatic suspension on the std. E, make available a front air dam bumper, add inertia belts, improve the radiator cooler (no trombone yet), no door bars yet, no ugly black bumperettes yet, S is still top model, provide new colors - and keep the chrome (but make the grilles out of plastic to save a few ounces).
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

72 911

So, what I'm hearing so far is that the goofyness of the oil tank, means nothing anymore. I should ask the age of the Post-ers to see if He-She was around and into Porsches back then!

Its kinda like trying to convince a less than 40 year old that 4 door cars suck! Hell, I even have a problem with the Panamera......don't get me wrong, if I had the extra Scoot, I would own one!!

So far I'm totally wrong how some (not all) would be thinking!

Am I too old (57) to even think the 1968 911 was also a "Lemon" in the day? Hell, 68 was a bad year for the VW too!! Just for the record I have a 68', a 911 L Sporto.

Kevin

You would be correct, that sticker was in the 72 911 but what I don't remember, if it was a "oops" and then installed on a re-call. Seems the ones we pumped had the stickers! It seems imposible to do but man did it happen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby1953 View Post
    So, what I'm hearing so far is that the goofyness of the oil tank, means nothing anymore.
    Kevin
    I would not agree that it was "goofy" then or now. Sometime you can not get past stupid. How could someone own one of these cars and not know where to put the gas and oil. I know it happened, but wow.

I am 62 and have 3 '72's.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

The "oil" decal for the 72's oil door is available at Sierra Madre Collection. http://www.sierramadrecollection.com..._detail&p=6350

By the way, I'm a little biased, but '72 just happens to be my personal favorite early 911 too
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 02-21-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Look what's on my car. Oh!! Yeah!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Perry911; 02-21-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Paid Member # 1991
    Not that I'm the Oracle on this stuff, but to me it's more of a one-year anomaly, and not a particularly attractive or desirable feature. I had a chance on a '72, but passed. Several reasons, but in part because the oil door just plain feels out of place to me. But, that's just me and please remember that I'm one of the weirdos who really likes 914-6's. That said, I could easily live with the external oil door on a 1972 ST

I don't think the car owners were the major culprits when gas ended in the oil tank. I think most of the blame belongs to inattentive gas station attendants. Remember those??

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 02-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.