Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCA-GPX at Willow Springs

PCA-GPX at Willow Springs

The Gran Prix Region is again hosting a Day Away from Work at the Streets of Willow on Monday March 22.

In the past, we have had S Registry members like myself, Chuck M., Lars W., Chris Tallon, Chris Messano, Will S. and many others.

This is a REALLY fun, SAFE and educational day to learn how to drive our cars.
    The Gran Prix region is one that I consider the best. Skip Carter, Mike D., and Suesan W. run a very tight day, lots of just really good people having fun.

First timers and refreshers are recommended/or mandatory to attend the drivers meeting on Sunday.

Hope to see you there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I will not have my Porsche there but can I get a ride with an instructor if I bring my helmet? I want to start doing DEs once my car's running gear is all good to go. I am over 18, have a driver's license, POC and PCA member... Are there any special forms I need to sign?

Thanks
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I will be there, great day out with that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Are there any special forms I need to sign?
    Fleiger, You are going to have to ask those questions directly to the organizers...I don't know any of the answers...sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

That's alright. I was hoping some POC board member might be looking at this thread. I will bring a helmet and hope for the best if I do not get a firm answer before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    That's alright. I was hoping some POC board member might be looking at this thread. I will bring a helmet and hope for the best if I do not get a firm answer before then.
    This is a PCA event, not POC. The PCA Zone 8 rules allow for a region to implement a "Taste of the Track" program that would allow you to do just what you are asking about. The exact wording is:

A “Taste of the Track” program may be implemented. This will allow a person to ride in the passenger seat of an instructor’s car during a run session (for instruction only). The participant will register for the event, pay an entrance fee, and sign the insurance waiver. The entrant is required to participate in all aspects of the day that novice drivers attend, including any driver’s meetings, chalk talks, classroom sessions and corner working. All safety gear required by the vehicle class must be used. The Event Chairperson must approve all participants and instructors for this program.

The key wording here is "may implement." It is up to the sponsoring region to decide if they will do it at each event. The event flyer does not mention it, so they may not be doing it on the 22nd. I would call the Registrar and ask if it is possible. It is much less likely that you could simply show up on the day of the event and have it happen, although you may be able to "bootleg" it, who knows? If you really want a ridealong, I'd try going thru the formal channel first.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks, I will look into it.

It will be fun to watch the others having fun driving, even if a ride would be better, and driving my car would be best. I want to see lots of "us" early 911s out there flying round the curves.

Dan,
    I know I sent in the payment for the day at Buttonwillow, did I send in a payment to you for this one? Sorry about the graybeard moment.

Yes I did. I am in and looking forward to it. Now where is my Ginko Biloba.....

They say memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first is...

Have fun driving