Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these real factory RSR flares?

Department of Redundancy Department Paul Konrad's Avatar

Are these real factory RSR flares?

Are these RSR flares real? How can it be verified? I'm having all four of these fender flares professionally removed from my car and I'm told that they are real RSR flares (although they were not installed very well):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4885254...7623711886897/

Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Paul
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

They sure are not 930 Turbo flares, as far as I can see they are RSR shape.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Once removed take them down to the metal and then you'll know. They do look the part. Good luck.
    72S, 72T now ST

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Once removed take them down to the metal and then you'll know. They do look the part. Good luck.
    That's what the body guy did. So far, he has removed the fronts... very, very carefully, and wire brushed them... very, very delicately. He is a well known and well respected Porsche metal guy in SoCal (who shall remain nameless, at least for now) and he has seen many fenders and flares, and done amazing metal work for many Porsches over the years. He indicated that the fronts are the real deal. Hopefully he says the same when he removes the rear flares. It's so funny, because I bought the car with these flares already installed, and they were not fitted very well, and guys gave me so much crap about how crappy and funky they looked, and when are you going to change those out? Hopefully, it was just the fitting that made them laugh. And when I was looking around to have new fenders installed, I even had two Porsche body shops who didn't recognize the flares. I guess it makes sense, they are so rare, that many people can't recognize them when they see them.
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

So what are your plans?

To re-install them correctly?

Or go back to the narrow body look?

If they are real.....I would think you would want to keep them.
    And possibly have your pro re-install them in the correct fashion.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Selling the RSR Flares

I've thought about it, and I'm planning to sell the original RSR flares.

My car is a '73 911T non-sunroof coupe that has been setup with all Bilstein 935 suspension, LSD and a 3.0 SC engine. I do want to convert the car to an RSR look, but I'm not concerned about not having the correct RSR flares. I'm just going to install aftermarket 930 flares, and fiberglass front and rear RSR bumpers, and fiberglass ducktail, to complete the RSR look. It's not a show car and I plan to race it, as well as drive it on the street. And if I messed up the real RSR fender flares, I would go nuts, especially if I ever had to find a replacement. Aftermarket 930 flares are much cheaper and widely available.

Does anyone make a decent aftermarket set of RSR steel flares? I was told that a set of real RSR flares are worth $10K. I'm not sure what the market is right now, but I'd rather get some money back on this find, and offset my cost of the replacement fenders, and eventually a paint job/color change.
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

Don't know for sure....but I bet the market for real RSR flares is pretty small.

That said, if it was me, and I had the cash, I'd re-install your real RSR flares back on the car.
    In the end, it will make your car worth more money.

But if you're really needing the money to complete your project, I understand that thinking as well.

I just did the RSR treatment to my 73 911 using turbo flares that were massaged to give more of an RSR look.
    Very pleased with the end result.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

You cut off real RSR flares to put on fake RSR flares, because you think you can sell the real ones for a profit ??? Have you fully investigated what it costs to install flares? at best this is a break even deal, forget the fact that a RSR clone with real flares is worth $1000s more than one with Turbo flares.

Sorry to be blunt with you, but this was a huge mistake. If it were me, I would have the flares carefully welded back, should require minimal fitting, and less cost ( hours ) than fitting new Turbo flares.

When you finish you will have something special and desirable.
    Rob Abbott

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

Thanks for the advice guys!!! I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at the car right now and look at the fenders and flares and talk to the body guy. I might just have the RSR flares reinstalled and return the aftermarket 930 fenders. Will update shortly.
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

There is no substitute for real RSR flares.
    72S, 72T now ST