Page 11 of 287 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 90s R Gruppe 911

I have never driven on a track in wet, but that video makes it look like a lot of fun. But watching F1 races in the rain with all the million $ car destruction, is not fun.

Here are a couple of shots of the front trunk, interior, and a one art shot. The spare has never been mounted and all the fender bolts are still zink coated originals. All the tools are still there. Pretty nice for a 20 year old 911.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I agree. Rain gives me an unsure feel through the steering wheel. I can feel the slip angle increasing without much effect. There is just not that sense of grip. In the dry, the front tires bite into the road better and using engine braking and trail braking can make a very nice decreasing radius curve. I like the smooth, stable feeling in the dry. I have more fun on a nice sunny day driving around the twisty mountain roads.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Another one slips away .....

Driving in the wet, at least on track is a blast. You are travelling at a lower velocity, but working much harder. The throttle is your friend in the wet There is so much to learn from this experience....I highly reccomend it! As Walter Rohrl likes to say, "driving starts when traction ends" Love it!

and Curt, that looks to be a good price for that gray car, but keep in mind that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap P-car, especially true for 964's, and C4's at that. That motor is really wet, and that interior color , but having said that, this is a solid price for a car that can be transformed into a wonderful R Grupper hot rod....
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Click on this one, it is pretty short. I remember an interview with Shooey where a Brit Motorsports journalist asked him the secret to being so fast in the wet. He replied you have to listen to the tires. But in the wet!! He said in the wet you have to listen VERY CLOSELY.....hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lha_Z...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    It looks like the auction ended early. Says it sold for 59,000.00

There is a strong parallel between the early 90s development of the 964 and the early 70s development of the ST and RS/RSR. By the early 90s, the factory had decided that the 911 was not going away (to be replaced by the 928), and with sales declining caused by the collapse of the collector car bubble of the late 80s, they decided that a renewed 911 development program for racing on Sunday to sell cars on Monday was a good plan. They developed the Cup Car race series for Europe based on the new 964 to stimulate interest in the 911, and produced an RS version for similar reasons that produced the 73 RS/RSR. Even though the US Cup Car efforts failed, the concept of racing a 911 that was very little changed from the street version is still very successful in Europe. Then came the Turbo version that was very successful in the US with 2 Brumos cars, again similar to the 934/935 development.

For me, the appeal of the 964 series 911s comes from the 70s/90s parallel. When Cris Huergas and a few others of us were gathering at EASY in Emeryville in the early 90s, our beloved long hoods were 20-25 years old, and they were inexpensive to buy because most guys wanted an impact bumper style 911, which had been used for 16 years with little external change.

Today, the 964s (which are 20 years old) are in a similar market postion as those long hoods earlier....they are inexpensive to buy today, but offer really great value(bang for the buck). They are still in the original 911 body shape and dimensions, and were hand built like their 70s brothers. There is a factory 'sports purpose' list of modifications to be followed using factory parts or concepts to lighten and reinforce the street 964 to make it an RS or Cup Car version if a privateer wants to do that. Whether a guy wants to use them in track competition or drive them on the street, they have a heritage to follow in RS or Cup Car light weight form that provides a good rationalization for modifying them....similar to an R Gruppe 911.

And man, they are FUN TO DRIVE!

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Well stated Gib.

I find myself driving the 964 more than the 73, although the 73 is faster in the hills due to it's "proper" set-up. I'm looking forward to experiencing the transformation as I develop the 964 toward a more precise package.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    There is a strong parallel between the early 90s development of the 964 and the early 70s development of the ST and RS/RSR. By the early 90s, the factory had decided that the 911 was not going away (to be replaced by the 928), and with sales declining caused by the collapse of the collector car bubble of the late 80s, they decided that a renewed 911 development program for racing on Sunday to sell cars on Monday was a good plan. They developed the Cup Car race series for Europe based on the new 964 to stimulate interest in the 911, and produced an RS version for similar reasons that produced the 73 RS/RSR. Even though the US Cup Car efforts failed, the concept of racing a 911 that was very little changed from the street version is still very successful in Europe. Then came the Turbo version that was very successful in the US with 2 Brumos cars, again similar to the 934/935 development.

For me, the appeal of the 964 series 911s comes from the 70s/90s parallel. When Cris Huergas and a few others of us were gathering at EASY in Emeryville in the early 90s, our beloved long hoods were 20-25 years old, and they were inexpensive to buy because most guys wanted an impact bumper style 911, which had been used for 16 years with little external change.

Today, the 964s (which are 20 years old) are in a similar market postion as those long hoods earlier....they are inexpensive to buy today, but offer really great value(bang for the buck). They are still in the original 911 body shape and dimensions, and were hand built like their 70s brothers. There is a factory 'sports purpose' list of modifications to be followed using factory parts or concepts to lighten and reinforce the street 964 to make it an RS or Cup Car version if a privateer wants to do that. Whether a guy wants to use them in track competition or drive them on the street, they have a heritage to follow in RS or Cup Car light weight form that provides a good rationalization for modifying them....similar to an R Gruppe 911.

And man, they are FUN TO DRIVE!

Gib
    Just don't get rid of the air conditioning.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

You guys are a bad (good) influence

Funny how things workout some times. I have been interested in 964s for a little while and have been looking for a GP white C4 coupe on and off for a couple of months.

Then this thread popped up about the time I found a nice one in Wisconsin. I had the PPI done yesterday. The mechanic was very impressed with the condition of the car, only finding the A/C needing a recharge. This one is a '91 and is right before the head gasket modification but the engine is bone dry. Comes with all the books and most all the service records.

These photos were taken before it was lowered by the owner. It has Eibach springs on the original shocks. Not the best suspension modification but as Gib has done with his, I plan to do some of the same with this car. Definitely Cup I wheels, aero mirrors and removing the front black bumpers, along with a better suspension set up. Oh and snow tires in the winter.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299