Page 3 of 287 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 90s R Gruppe 911

Just caught this thread. I'm so glad others here see the 964 for what it is. A great P-car! The cat is out of the bag so to speak. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find 5 speed C2 coupes out there. The prices are moving very consistently into the very high teens and usually now in the low to mid 20's. I've had mine now for a year and it's still quite stock. Gib is spot on....once you freshen the suspension, lower the car, add a primary bypass, install Cup 1's and put in better seats (I have RS America seats in mine) the car transforms into a much sharper tool.

Gib, your red car looks the business, Wow!!! Congrats on yet another fine build!!!!

If any of you are interested, shop now....
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

So what's the price tag on a good 964 suspension? Vendor?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Erik:

You can look on both Pelican and Rennlist for all kinds of tech articles on things that can be done to these cars...and it is a bunch of things. I spent approx. $1000 on a nearly new set of matched H&R shocks/springs. I installed them myself, which isn't too hard...but it helps to have a lift (I do). Nice Cup style wheels (7+9x17) go for around $1000, and then another $800+ for tires...or buy them as a package.

The aero mirrors are around $500 for a pair, or if you find a 93/94 (maybe 92s) it will have them already. Check with Brad at BW Motorsports for a kit, as he is very helpful in giving you a kit already put together (factory kit is an erector set) and helps with wiring details, etc.

Removing the little black US front bumperette is a pain, as you have to take off the front bumper to get at the little bracket that mounts it, but I think it is a big improvement to get it off. The Euro lense that replaces it are available from the factory for $30-40 as I recall.

Finding Recaro SRDs or their replacement...'Speed' seats, new are approx. $1500, but if you look around, you can usually find some good used ones for $1k or so. They fit pretty tight, but they will fit. The App Biz RS carpet kit is very well done, but be warned, they are more complicated than the long hood cars to install. The center tunnel is tougher to deal with, but again, it's not rocket science. Get good 3M professional grade adheasive, and a good carpet knife, and use the existing removed pieces to show where additional cuts in the kit need to be made...and be patient.

The new interior digs really change the overall look of the car, and make it a good fit in any line up of long hoods. Also, there is no worry about losing value by doing these mods, these 964s are already at rock bottom (and maybe moving up as Chris says), and these changes give the car a wider appeal.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

More shots.

Gib
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

Did you strip out any of the sound deadning under the original carpet before installing the lightweight RS carpet kit? I've heard it's a big job, but saves big weight.

BTW....Congrats on the Excellence article. That K Tribute car is fantastic.

Will you be driving the red car to any of this years events here on the West Coast? I'd love to see how it feels from behind the wheel.

Take care....

Chris
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

My Son's, new to him, 964 twin turbo, just finished remodeling interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    83SC, bone stock (not so much anymore)
    69T, 2.8 RS spec, MFI (Sold, but not forgotten)
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tallon View Post
    Gib,

Did you strip out any of the sound deadning under the original carpet before installing the lightweight RS carpet kit? I've heard it's a big job, but saves big weight.

BTW....Congrats on the Excellence article. That K Tribute car is fantastic.

Will you be driving the red car to any of this years events here on the West Coast? I'd love to see how it feels from behind the wheel.

Take care....

Chris
    Chris:

I did not take out any of the sound deadening...I want this car as a GT...cruising, so not so concerned that it get down to 2700 lb. It's a great DRIVER, and comfortable....but edgy. I have a couple of long hoods that are under 2200 lb when I want to go NIMBLE.

I may be driving this car to TREFEN this year...tired of dragging a trailer for 900 miles.

Paul:

That twin turbo looks like a real hot ride. Subtle outside, but snarly when that Vette guy looks over at the intersection asking for it....

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I keep telling you guys ... 6 speed tranny from a 993. EASY install and wakes that motor right up.

Also, I believe Big Reds are pretty much a bolt-on accessory.

-Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Any one back date one of these puppies or is it not cost effective considering their low prices? The bigger than life bumpers really are something.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Gib that is a very nice summary of desirable modifications to a 964, thank you!

And congrats on the big E article, looks good!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!