Thread: The Quest for Bilstein Green...

The Quest for Bilstein Green...

I'm making the switch from Koni to Bilstein on the 911.

I purchased some new rear shocks and found a very nice pair of used front struts. The fronts needed to be refinished so, I had them soda blasted.

If you haven't experienced soda blasting, it is simply a miracle. Spindles were not taped off. Shock shafts were not taped off!

Nothing like factory metal to work with... just amazing results. The smallest of stampings, codes and markings come back to life. Almost a shame to repaint them...

The word on the street was "Oliver Green" Valspar from "Tractor Supply" was spot on. The John Deere green was actually a bit more yellow.

The verdict is in.

For me, this wasn't an exact match but I'm not that picky and I'm happy with my results.

This exercise will probably shed light on the fact that even Bilstein greens will probably change over the years and models as others have found the John Deere green to be an exact match.

Because I soda blasted them, my struts came out "fantastic". I would say "amazing" rattle can results that were actually anywhere from a great match (finish wise) to the original to even "better" than original. I wiped the soda blasted struts with vinegar and then sprayed a couple coats of automotive primer on them. I sanded the primer and laid a couple coats of Oliver Green. One thing I would do for a more original finish... try to get one good coat not two. Flies in the face of a lot of standard wisdom but, in looking at my new factory rears, I would say they have one good coat, probably baked on.

Pigment results - The Oliver Green did not have the "yellow" in it that the factory bilsteins did. I'll include both pictures (with flash and without) so you can make your decision. Also, the Valspar nozzle can be regarded as nothing more than a "challenge" to get a good even coat without splatters. Not a great rattle can nozzle if you ask me. I think the John Deere would have been closer.

Overall... extremely happy with the results. I'd look for a tad more yellow in the finish for the Bilsteins I have to match them to. YMMV.

Flash:

Without:
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

John Deere vs. Oliver

Here's another users picture of John Deere (left) vs. Oliver (right).

Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

One final note to help us "vintage" guys.

From all of the comparison's I've seen, the early Bilsteins are the darker Oliver green color while the later versions have more yellow ala. John Deere green.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook