Thread: How bad is the rust in my fuel tank??

How bad is the rust in my fuel tank??

Hi.
    Changed fuel lines and filter today and decided to take a look inside the tank. A bit hard to see, but there is rust at the bottom and some rusty particles. The upper part of the tank seems excellent. Surface rust in the edges on the outside.

How bad do you think this is, and what should I do? Had hoped to avoid a full service now but think thats the only way to go.

Thanks!

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Did you remove the filter sock from the outlet line, and if so was it clogged with rust particles?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Did you remove the filter sock from the outlet line, and if so was it clogged with rust particles?
    No, not yet. Will take out the tank and inspect it carefully asap. Have only changed the fuel lines in the engine compartment, that´s the reason I have not checked it yet. Will post pictures of the filter sock when I remove it.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

In my experience just having some rust on the tank walls is of no consequence. But if you find many particles in the filter, remove the tank and have it cleaned and sealed. Mine filled a fuel pump necessitating replacement and doubling the cost... the price of procrastination.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Ed/James;
    Here are some pictures. The filter sock actually looks OK. Not clogged, could blow through it. The fuel was very dirty and lots of particles. The fuel lines were totally rotten with several of the connections not even secured. The tank has some rust that has to be taken care of, but think it can be repaired. Will clean the tank now and restore it 100% next winter.

Cheers,
    Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

The outside of the tank looks worse than the inside! That filter sock is more clogged than you think. Use aerosol carb cleaner and keep spraying the sock and then blowing with compressed air. When totally clean you will be able to hold it up to light and be able to see through to the tube inside, all the way around the sock.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This may be a dumb question, but after cleaning my filter sock I found a small hole in the screen mesh. Does that mean it should be replaced or is there a fix using new screen?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The outside of the tank looks worse than the inside! That filter sock is more clogged than you think. Use aerosol carb cleaner and keep spraying the sock and then blowing with compressed air. When totally clean you will be able to hold it up to light and be able to see through to the tube inside, all the way around the sock.
    Thanks for the advice. You are right about the outside rust. My mechanic looked at it today and advised me not to use it. He was surprised it was not leaking. The metal is very thin in some areas.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

merbesfield This may be a dumb question, but after cleaning my filter sock I found a small hole in the screen mesh. Does that mean it should be replaced or is there a fix using new screen?

The filter sock should still available as a new part from Porsche. You get the whole fitting, not just the mesh.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.