Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTG spots with vertical mounts on a LWB car

TTG spots with vertical mounts on a LWB car

could anyone help me out with this...
    just bought a set of hella spots with "fixed-vertical" mounts on the rear - see below...

with the fixed-vertical mounts i've seen this set up before....

but that doesnt look 1000% solid?
    - has anyone got this set up?
    - and is it surely reinforced behind the grill with a bracket or not?

most set ups i've seen are for lights with a swivel mount on the back.
    1973 911T targa arctic white (gone)

You can make a bracket like the one on the right in the picture. It attaches to the top and side of the battery box, like the original bracket for the TTG lights, original bracket on the left.

BTW your lights are fog lights for the Euro market, used amoung others for the Mercedes. About 1" wider than the Porsche fog/driving TTG lights.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

many many thanks john,
    i need to make a bracket like the original on the left for the mount correct? as my lights with the vertical mounts wont attach to the one on the right.

could you (or if someone has access or opportunity) scribble down the following ABCDXYLMN measures for me?.... if possible... (D is the steel guage)

(bit worried about the bigger light size you mention actually - the ebay ad says 7" - thats a lot bigger than i envisaged when i paid for them)

I think John meant to say the original is on the right and the home made is on the left.

6 inch lights are fine... 7 inch is a "little" big imho, but I'd like to see what they look like on the car.

E

Perhaps Michael will weigh in as well....

Eric, you are correct, I confused left/right ;-) 6" are quite common, dont think I have seen many 7" Hellas.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Brilliant
    thank you so much!!
    this board is an invaluable resource.

Judging by the mount I bet those are indeed the 7 inchers. Too big for TTG IMO.

I'm at work and can't get to my pics but, I have one shot that shows a TN4, TN6 and a Marchal 7 Incher lined up. Gives a great perspective to the size differences.

Now with those mounts, I'd be tempted to bumper mount them in front of hood instead of TTG.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I'm with Michael, bumper mount to the area in front of the grill might be best, that's a lot of weight to hang out there, and they might just look better bumper mounted.

You might also consider selling those lights and going a bit smaller to a Carello or Cibie Tango (still available from what I've seen).

point taken guys.
    i definately do not want to bumper mount them though.
    i regretted the buy after purchasing as i only noticed the 7" size after.
    i think putting it down to experience and selling them on to a merc enthusiast or someone might be the best course of action.

option 2 is another recent buy i made but i'm happier with this one...
    option 2 is to rechrome, refurb and clean up all of this little lot...

i would like to see the line up of different sizes mentioned above still though.

Well, the #2 option is the "best" choice in my opinion of what to mount on your car. The refurb cost will be plenty high, but at least you've got the right parts to start with. The cost of those NOS is nosebleed territory, but the finished look is pretty darn nice.

There's a thread on chroming that's still up and around right now, you may want to take a look at a few options people threw out, as some were definitely lower than others. No clue on who to do the reflectors, there used to be a place in Portland OR called Steve's Reflector that was pretty reasonable.

John (zithlord) did a real nice thread on rechroming and re-riveting the bodies a while back.

e